Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Muhammad Rizwan <ri...@nixpanel.com> on 2005/03/25 08:26:27 UTC

[users@httpd] FTP and Virtual directory

Hello

I have 2 little questions:

1- How we can create FTP site in Apache, as we can create in IIS
(Microsoft).

2- How we can create Virtual Directory in apache, and what is the
purpose of it?

Thanks

Re: [users@httpd] FTP and Virtual directory

Posted by Stephen <st...@rogers.com>.
Muhammad Rizwan wrote:

>1- How we can create FTP site in Apache, as we can create in IIS
>(Microsoft).
>
>2- How we can create Virtual Directory in apache, and what is the
>purpose of it?

Information about your environment, and how it was created would help a
great deal.

An ftp server is totally separate from an http server. But for an http
server to be useful, it pretty much has to have an ftp server on the
same box, to allow the uploading of the web page files.

Linux distributions come with ftp servers. The challenge is to determine
a) if it is running, b) if not, is it installed or c) how to install it.
And you want it to run automatically when you start the system.

Virtual directories in Apache are entries in the configuration files. In
version 2.x they are now placed in Vhosts.conf. Where this file is
located depends on your install. In Linux it may be in /etc/http/conf/vhosts

They map domain names to physical directories on the server. In this
way, many domains can be hosted on the same server, and the Virtual
Directory entries tell Apache where to get the files for each domain.

A simple entry might be:

NameVirtualHost *

<Virtual Host www.domainname.com>
DocumentRoot /home/someusername/www/www.domainname.com
ServerName www.domainname.com
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost tells Apache to accept every domain. This is not
adequate in a public host, since it does not deal with requests for
non-hosted domains.

The VirtualHost directive tells Apache to map the domain to the directory.

Apache must have a <Directory> directive to include /home/*/www
otherwise it will refuse to access files in the home directory and raise
a permission error. The directories must be readable by anyone, and
writable by 'someusername' the account owner.

The ftp server should be set to allow access based on account name,
'someusername' so users can only access their own directories.

Hope this helps.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: FTP and Virtual directory

Posted by Dick Davies <ra...@hellooperator.net>.
* Muhammad Rizwan <ri...@nixpanel.com> [0307 10:07]:

proftpd does those - see http://www.proftpd.org

--
'common sense is what tells you that the world is flat.'
		-- Principia Discordia

Re: [users@httpd] Re: FTP and Virtual directory

Posted by Muhammad Rizwan <ri...@nixpanel.com>.
What about virtual domains.

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.

http://www.spamchek.com/freetrial - sign up for your free 30-day trial now!

Re: [users@httpd] FTP and Virtual directory

Posted by ma...@morningstarcom.net.
On Friday 25 March 2005 02:26, Muhammad Rizwan wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have 2 little questions:
>
> 1- How we can create FTP site in Apache, as we can create in IIS
> (Microsoft).
>
> 2- How we can create Virtual Directory in apache, and what is the
> purpose of it?
>
> Thanks

There are several FTP servers on Linux already. VSFTP is the one I use in
Fedora

Virtual directory allows you to multiple sites that appear to be the only one
on the server.  It makes for a more secure hosting environment.  My favorite
control panel to use on a web server is Ensim Pro.  It does most of the dirty
work for you.

--
Win a Vespa Scooter or a Dell Gift Card worth $3,000.00
http://www.morningstarcom.net/raffle-contest.php

believed to be clean.