Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/26 09:28:42 UTC

Geronimo Features.

Hi,
I have a few doubts about geronimo features. I checked out the release notes
from M4 but would like to know if there is any document listing the features
added upto now. Specifically I have a few questions
1) Does Geronimo have datasource failover capabilities like in JBOSS?
2) How many connection managers does geronimo support? Can custom connection
managers be plugged in?
3) Geronimo does not yet handle drivers that supply their own DataSource,Is
this statement still valid? How many types of datasources does geronimo
support?
4) Can you connect to RDBMS's that have not yet implemented JCA-JDBC drivers
in geronimo?

Thanks
Manu

Re: Geronimo Features.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Geronimo does not have any direct integration with JDBC but supports
access through the generic J2CA framework. The TranQL project has J2CA
adaptors for various databases.

The J2CA framework is interceptor based which allows different parts of
the connection framework to be plugged in including the connection manager.

TranQL has an adaptor that wraps a generic JDBC driver allowing any
driver to be used.

TranQL has specialized drivers for certain databases (including Apache
Derby, Oracle and soon DB2) that provide a tighter integration with
advanced features of the driver itself. It is at this level features
such as load-balancing and failover would be provided.

For less integrated failover (which is my understanding of the JBoss
feature) a C-JDBC wrapper can be used.

--
Jeremy

Re: Geronimo Features.

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeremy/David,
Thanks for the prompt response. It cleared up my doubts

Thanks Again
Manu

Re: Geronimo Features.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.