Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net> on 2003/01/01 05:26:16 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Totally new

William Martin wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I am new to the world of http server. I have played with it some in the past
>but have always ended up being frustrated. I have a question that I really
>need some help on. My home computer with Windows 2000 Pro is connected to a
>cable modem as well as two other computers.  The cable is route to a Terayon
>modem and then from there,  it's routed to the Ethernet Cable/DSL router on
>to these three computers. Is there any way that I can set it up to allow
>users from Internet to view the website on my home computer?  Any help would
>be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

First, when starting a new question/thread, don't 'reply'.  Instead,
start a new message (you are buried in the thread you replied to).

Second, the question is kinda open-ended--see

Third, the short answer is yes :)

You don't tell us a lot, but we can guess that the router performs
network address translation.  In that case, you need to set rules on the
router to forward port 80 requests to the proper machine on the LAN.
You'll need to RTFM on your router.

Do you have a registered domain name?  A fixed IP addy?  Using a dynamic
dns?  In other words, how does anyone reach you?
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---