Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2005/11/16 14:14:47 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 and Logging - any plain english instructions anywhere?

Hi all,

I am in the process of trying to build a Struts project from scratch,
and from the browser perspective it doesn't work, giving the vague error
"Servlet action is not available".

No worries, I look for catalina.out and/or the localhost_log*, or as a
last resort the output of tomcat as shown in Eclipse for a backtrace
that might yield a clue - and I get nothing.

So I look for the logging docs for Tomcat. Having read through it a few
times, I have figured out that catalina.out and localhost_log* are gone,
to be replaced with... what?

The docs at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html
describe a complex logging infrastructure, with a myriad of options,
levels, choices and structures which to me are completely incomprehensible.

All I need is the switch to "turn it on".

Does anyone have a document of some kind that explains how to coax
logging out of tomcat 5.5? I don't care about the 1000 things I can do,
but rather the 1 thing I should do to get the backtrace that might
reveal what "Servlet action is not available" means. A Howto in other words.

Does anybody have such a document anywhere? I could find nothing in the FAQ.

Regards,
Graham