Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Harrie Hazewinkel <ha...@jrc.it> on 1998/06/02 11:47:19 UTC

the use of ./configure

HI all,

I have found some problems with the use of './configure'
during the installation process. I discovered

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that
the 'configuration'-file src/Configuration is used to
determine the configuration and that is setup by
'./configure'.

Thew problem:
If I add an EXTRA_CFLAG in 'src/Configuration', like
'-ggdb', it does not show up in the Makefiles.
What happens is that the line of the 'EXTRA_CFLAGS' is

EXTRA_CFLAGS=`$(SRCDIR)/apaci`

and should be

EXTRA_CFLAGS=-ggdb `$(SRCDIR)/apaci`

The same is for the EXTRA_INCLUDES and the EXTRA_LIBS
of the 'src/Configuration' when I would like to have
for instance, 'EXTRA_INCLUDES=-I/usr/local/include'
and 'EXTRA_LIBS=-L/usr/local/lib -lgdbm'.
These lines stay empty.

If I repeat this for the 'src/Configuration.tmpl' I
get the following results

EXTRA_CFLAGS does not show up in the Makefiles.
EXTRA_INCLUDES shows up in the Makefile
EXTRA_LIBS shows up in the Makefile

It seems to me that the './configure' script takes its
input from 'src/Configuration.tmpl' instaed of
'src/Configuration' and the EXTRA_CFLAGS are not
included at all in the Makefiles.

I tested this with the 1.3.0 on a SUN ultra 5 with
Solaris 2.6 and the 1.3b7 on a FreeBSD 3.0 .

--
HA HA