Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Richard Zowalla <rz...@apache.org> on 2021/03/09 08:30:35 UTC

Release related Issues created by INFRA

Hi all,

INFRA created two tasks related to our releases on Jira [1,2].

To address [1], I created a PR [3] on the tomee-site-generator project.
Romain had some feedback on it and we discovered, that we changed the
release links from Maven repositories links towards Mirror links.

My PR is a manual fix to address the concerns raised by INFRA related
to missing links to the .asc files. I also added instructions on how to
check the integrity of the provided release files.

However, I think, that we should discuss the approach in general, ie.
which kind of binaries are deployed via the mirroring system and which
binaries are provided via Maven repositories. This is also relevant in
terms of [2] as INFRA has requested to delete non active versions from
the mirroring system.

The problem with the mirroring system might be, that the current
process seems to be of "manual" nature (?) while the "old" process (via
Downloads.java) generated (and verified) the download links for
copy&paste them into the "download-ng.adoc".

Wdyt?

Gruss,
Richard

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/TOMEE/issues/TOMEE-2975
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-1096
[3] https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/pull/21

Re: Release related Issues created by INFRA

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Hi,

thanks for the feedback. It is very welcome!

Gruss
Richard

--
Richard Zowalla, M.Sc.
Research Associate, PhD Student | Medical Informatics

Hochschule Heilbronn – University of Applied Sciences
Max-Planck-Str. 39
D-74081 Heilbronn
phone: +49 7131 504 6791
mail: richard.zowalla@hs-heilbronn.de
web: https://www.mi.hs-heilbronn.de/

Re: Release related Issues created by INFRA

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Mar 25, 2021, at 7:53 PM, David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Some style advice, get in the habit of using the `final` keyword on all fields, variables and parameters.

Of course I mean "where possible."  There are rare occasions where they are needed.  I tend to rework my code till they are't needed and usually end up enjoying the result.

-David

Re: Release related Issues created by INFRA

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Hi David, Hi Jon,

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks or pushing this back up to the top.  Some thoughts below.

> On Mar 24, 2021, at 12:46 AM, Richard Zowalla <rz...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> It seems, we are already providing SHA256/SHA512 checksums for newer
> releases. To rephrase my comment: If we would switch to Maven
> repository links instead, we would need to upgrade the parent project
> in order to deploy SHA256/SHA512 to Maven repositories.

I'm curious what others think, but to me it would seem the best source to point at for the signatures is something on apache.org.  I completely understand how having the mirror be the source of signatures to verify files on the mirror completely defeats the point :)

The most natural source for me would be linking signatures back to the mirror source which is https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/tomee/

> - How to deploy changes conducted in
> https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator ?
>
> The documentation is outdated and I have no idea of the steps required
> to get the changes "live". If someone can explain the process, I am
> happy to update the documentation as well.

Thank you in advance for the help!  When David and I did work here we didn't really document outside the list conversations.

The short version is if you push modified html to this repo, it shows up live eventually:

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-pub

You can regenerate the site with a `mvn compile` as mentioned here:

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator#build

The documentation says "you just need to sync it with CMS repo", but doesn't give details.  We used to do that with this class:

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/tomee/website/SvnPub.java

Now we're on Git and probably need a new version of that that uses JGit to commit the new HTML.

We could actually setup an automated process for publishing the site in Jenkins.  My last research on that is here:

 -  https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r6885ad10294a0e6d9c3ad2552dfe9a04239ac4dd77f15be4da9bcfff%40%3Cdev.tomee.apache.org%3E

On the download page itself, I have a handful of thoughts so I'll put those in a new thread.

Thank you so much for having energy to look into all of this!!

-David

Posted by Richard Zowalla <rz...@apache.org>.
It seems, we are already providing SHA256/SHA512 checksums for newer
releases. To rephrase my comment: If we would switch to Maven
repository links instead, we would need to upgrade the parent project
in order to deploy SHA256/SHA512 to Maven repositories.

Other question:

Re: Download page improvements/rework (was Re: Release related Issues created by INFRA)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Mar 25, 2021, at 7:53 AM, Zowalla, Richard <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am totally with you. We should automate the release-related tooling,
> the creation of the related notes as well as the download pages.
>
> However, we should keep in mind, that we had some Antorra-based website
> rework. I do not remember the current status but I guess it is also
> .adoc based - so I guess, it would be no show stopper.

Exactly.  As long as we generate adoc we're good and can use a wide variety of html generating tools.

We're now of the Apache CMS, so the path is clear for Antora and any other things that can generate html from adoc.  Us being on the CMS was definitely standing in the way.

> Might also a good starting point for some contributors out where :-)

Agreed.

-David

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Hi,