Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com> on 2001/08/21 21:13:16 UTC

Re: cvs commit:jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/coreStandardServer.java

"Pier P. Fumagalli" wrote:

> Justin Erenkrantz at jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 06:51:52PM -0000, craigmcc@apache.org wrote:
> >> craigmcc    01/08/21 11:51:52
> >>
> >>   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core
> >>                         StandardServer.java
> >>   Log:
> >>   Fix for a DoS attack against the shutdown port, that could cause an "out
> >>   of memory" exception by sending a continuous stream of characters.  Now,
> >>   Tomcat will only listen for enough characters to match or not-match the
> >>   required password, then it shuts the port.
> >
> > Now I'll know exactly how long the shutdown password is.  =-)  -- justin
>
> Good point... :(
>
>     Pier

It is a good point. Might I suggest shutting it off at an arbitrary
limit instead ... say, 100 characters?

- Christopher

Re: cvs commit:jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/coreStandardServer.java

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Christopher Cain wrote:

[snip]

> > Now, if you could just add a small random value to "expected" before you
> > drop into the "while > 0" loop to make it non-deterministic , please ...
> >
> > (just kidding ;-)
> >

> Don't laugh.  That's what I had actually implemented after doing the +=
> 1024 thing, but I just hadn't saved it away.
>
> Craig

Oh ... hahaha ... I thought you'd think I was being a paranoid
crypto-weenie. I guess great minds just think alike ;-)

I do that editor thing all the time too. Mostly when I change something,
do a build, run it, then wonder why custom debug output didn't show up.
D'oh! =)

- Christopher

Re: cvs commit:jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/coreStandardServer.java

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Christopher Cain wrote:

> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> > > It is a good point. Might I suggest shutting it off at an arbitrary
> > > limit instead ... say, 100 characters?
> > >

> > 100 is a little short for paranoid sysadmins that use a really long
> > password :-).  But you'll get a kick out of what I did implement :-).
>
> Ahhh ... a padded limit ... I likes it, I likes it =)
>
> Now, if you could just add a small random value to "expected" before you
> drop into the "while > 0" loop to make it non-deterministic , please ...
>
> (just kidding ;-)

Don't laugh.  That's what I had actually implemented after doing the +=
1024 thing, but I just hadn't saved it away.

> - Christopher

Craig

Re: cvs commit:jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/coreStandardServer.java

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Christopher Cain wrote:

> "Pier P. Fumagalli" wrote:
> >
> > Justin Erenkrantz at jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com wrote:

> > > Now I'll know exactly how long the shutdown password is.  =-)  -- justin
> >
> > Good point... :(
> >
> >     Pier
>
> It is a good point. Might I suggest shutting it off at an arbitrary
> limit instead ... say, 100 characters?

100 is a little short for paranoid sysadmins that use a really long
password :-).  But you'll get a kick out of what I did implement :-).

> - Christopher

Craig