Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by John Colvin <jc...@openconnect.co.uk> on 2001/07/24 18:39:28 UTC

Evaluation Problems

Hi

I have been tasked in my office to evaluate Turbine with Velocity as its template engine and I am coming across numerous issues with developing a small example app.

1. What is the most recent version of the Turbine and the most stable?

2. I have installed Turbine 3.0a3 and the velocity installation that came in the same zip and I am having numerous problems with Velocity site. In the howto it is asking me to subclass the class org.apache.turbine.modules.screens.VelocityScreen to create a small HelloWorld example but this class does not exist with the installation.

I can get the Turbine Data Manager example application to work okay but when trying to create the HelloWorld example I have ran into problems described above.

3. In the Default.vm in the example application $renderer.render("screens", $data, $template) is used, I can not find any documentation on this at all, in the velocity-site howto it uses $navigation.setTemplate("/default_bottom.vm") to load the different screens you require. Can anyone help me with this?

4. With making additons to the example application I am also having problems with the $links.setPage("/test/test.vm") method as it seems to encode the url which is causing with finding a particular resource.

Kind Rgrds
John Colvin

---

Re: Evaluation Problems

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
As an FYI, your best bet for Turbine specific issues are the turbine
lists.  (You can subscribe via the same way you subscribed to this...)

More inline...

John Colvin wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been tasked in my office to evaluate Turbine with Velocity as its template engine and I am coming across numerous issues with developing a small example app.
>
> 1. What is the most recent version of the Turbine and the most stable?

2.1, as far as I know, as it is a release version.

> 2. I have installed Turbine 3.0a3 and the velocity installation that came in the same zip and I am having numerous problems with Velocity site. In the howto it is asking me to subclass the class org.apache.turbine.modules.screens.VelocityScreen to create a small HelloWorld example but this class does not exist with the installation.

This is a perfect question for the turbine list.  Also, note that 3.0 is
the razor thin bleeding edge...

> I can get the Turbine Data Manager example application to work okay but when trying to create the HelloWorld example I have ran into problems described above.
>
> 3. In the Default.vm in the example application $renderer.render("screens", $data, $template) is used, I can not find any documentation on this at all, in the velocity-site howto it uses $navigation.setTemplate("/default_bottom.vm") to load the different screens you require. Can anyone help me with this?

Turbine quesiton :)

> 4. With making additons to the example application I am also having problems with the $links.setPage("/test/test.vm") method as it seems to encode the url which is causing with finding a particular resource.

Another turbine question... :)

geir

System and Software Consulting
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.