Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matt Simonsen <ma...@careercast.com> on 2003/01/01 01:30:25 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0 on Linux

I have read that it is best to use the preforking version of Apache 2.0
on Linux until the 2.6 kernel comes out. Is this the accepted Apache
group recommendation, too?

I couldn't find any definitive statement on this, although I did read
the docs. The best I got was that preforking is the default for Unix. I
assume this is because many Unixes do not do threading well (and I
understand Linux is one).

Also, do any of you have real world benchmarks? I wonder, too, if the
threaded will benefit even more from hyper-threading.

Thanks
Matt

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 on Linux

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

Matt Simonsen wrote:
> I have read that it is best to use the preforking version of Apache 2.0
> on Linux until the 2.6 kernel comes out. Is this the accepted Apache
> group recommendation, too?
>
> I couldn't find any definitive statement on this, although I did read
> the docs. The best I got was that preforking is the default for Unix. I
> assume this is because many Unixes do not do threading well (and I
> understand Linux is one).
unix, linux, irix.
which version of linux were you taling about?
red hat, mandrake, debian, free-bsd, gentoo...... ( very long list )
every distribution has customised the *nix kernel to suit themselves.
( mandrake has "supermount" and pcmcia and networking as part of the
kernel. supermount is an automount for file systems, threading in the
kernal is being worked on for inclusion in next release [ version 9.1 ]
I think I saw somewhere ) red hat is closer to a stock unix kernel, as
are gentoo, debian and free-bsd.

for this type of question linux is not a clear enough description for a
good answer. to many variables depending on what distribution you have. ;)

> Also, do any of you have real world benchmarks? I wonder, too, if the
> threaded will benefit even more from hyper-threading.
>
> Thanks
> Matt

Jaqui