Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Jakob Praher <jp...@yahoo.de> on 2003/07/03 22:39:48 UTC

[merlin] maven and merlin.sh

hi,

this mail is partioned in two parts:

1) maven build process questions
2) merlin.sh questions

1) maven build process questions
--------------------------------

did a fresh check out using maven 1.0-b9.
I am just starting to using maven, so perhaps the error is my mistake,
but the goal 'merlin-dist' didn't pass.

So I worked around using:

maven.junit.usefile=false
maven.test.failure.ignore = true

in project.properties.

Now I have a compiled merlin the 'target' directory.

Question about maven: Is there any special bootstrapping needed for
maven in order to work - I think it should fetch all its libs from its
repository, so I thought it doesn't depend on a particular version of
for instance ant.jar. - What's your experience on that?

BTW: the testcase that failed was:
org.apache.avalon.merlin.RepositoryTestCase

but the stacktrace (using maven -e) had lots of jelly and jexl methods,
but no acutal merlin method - so don't know where the error happend...

2) bin/merlin.sh questions
--------------------------

merlin.sh does not work because of $MERLIN_TMP by default points to /.

Now there are several pointers where $MERLIN_TMP could point to.

* /tmp

this is problematic if you want to run more versions than one merlin,
since merlin will overwrite its /tmp/merlin.pid for instance.

anyways the pid file should, according to the lsb, /var/run. But this is
again problematic since only root by default has access to that
directory.

* $MERLIN_HOME/tmp

I think we should favor this directory (or perhaps $MERLIN_HOME/var/run
) for keeping the pid file, since when you have multiple merlins one
merlin does not overwrite other configuration files.

any opinions?

-- Jakob

Re: [merlin] maven and merlin.sh

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Jakob Praher wrote:

> minor pointer: there's a typo in the notebook.xml, this is corrected
> in the attached patch.

Applied.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin

Re: [merlin] maven and merlin.sh

Posted by Jakob Praher <jp...@yahoo.de>.
Am Don, 2003-07-03 um 23.07 schrieb J Aaron Farr:
> On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 16:39, Jakob Praher wrote:
> > 1) maven build process questions

> The problem isn't with merlin, it's with a bug in the maven 0.9
> release.  You need to update the jar plugin plugin.jelly file.  More
> info at:
>
> http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin/resources/notebook.html

thanks for the pointer - works now

Posted by J Aaron Farr <ja...@yahoo.com>.