Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jerry Lawson <je...@virtualsummit.com> on 2000/10/19 16:56:23 UTC

xerces2 cvs tree question

Andy,
I'm interested in the progress of the xerces2 dev,
and did a cvs checkout as documented in your
xerces2 web page.
Question: do you have a brief overview of the new
source tree directory structure for the uninitiated.
I can obviously traverse the tree and find the equivalent
xerces1.2 files, but knowing your thought process for
organizing the source tree relative to the architecture
(re: http://www.apache.org/~andyc/xerces2/architecture.html)
would be helpful.

BTW, I'm very excited about the direction and progress
of xerces2 and can't wait to get future enhancements!

Jerry Lawson                   Virtual Summit, Inc.
Virtual Programmer   jerry.lawson@virtualsummit.com

Re: xerces2 cvs tree question

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Jerry Lawson wrote:
> Andy Clark wrote:
> > Would it be useful to the user community to have milestone
> > distributions of the Xerces2 codebase to play with?
>
> Yes! and thanks for the directory descriptions.

The Xerces2 concept implementation should be moving to its
own CVS module soon. Perhaps at that time it would be a good
time to start doing some milestone distributions. That reminds
me that I should really post a development update to the list.
Look for my upcoming message for an update on the Xerces2
development: where we are and where we're going.

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org

Re: xerces2 cvs tree question

Posted by Jerry Lawson <je...@virtualsummit.com>.
Andy Clark wrote:

<snip>
> Would it be useful to the user community to have milestone
> distributions of the Xerces2 codebase to play with?

</snip>

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Jerry Lawson wrote:
> Question: do you have a brief overview of the new
> source tree directory structure for the uninitiated.
> I can obviously traverse the tree and find the equivalent
> xerces1.2 files, but knowing your thought process for
> organizing the source tree relative to the architecture
> (re: http://www.apache.org/~andyc/xerces2/architecture.html)
> would be helpful.

I don't have an overview of the source tree directory structure.
However, the re-organization of the packages was done to simplify
the tree structure and create a clean separation between core
interfaces and classes and implementation.

In Xerces 1.x, you'll notice a lot of packages at the org.apache.-
xerces package level. This has been reduced to (basically) the
following packages:

  xni      Xerces Native Interface
  util     Useful utility classes
  parsers  Set of parsers that expose the XNI callbacks as
           various API such as DOM and SAX
  impl     The components that implement the XNI interfaces
           to perform scanning and validation of documents.

Other packages at that level (such as dom and jaxp) may be
considered "add on" modules in the future. This still has to be
discussed and decided upon.

The organization of the packages at the org.apache.xerces.impl
level are organized in such a way to make it easier to create
configurations of parsers. And more re-organizing is going to
be done, as well. But a lot more thought has to go into *how*
we're going to enable people to package different configurations.
Should the Makefile know how to do this? Should it be a run-time
option?