Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Fred Toth <ft...@synernet.com> on 2008/04/24 05:31:36 UTC

Extending DefaultServlet, broken welcome-file

Hi all,

I'm lost in the woods.

Some time ago we built an application that required us to extend
the TC 5.5 DefaultServlet. All we did was point it to an external path
(outside the war file). It works great.

However, I now realize that I've somehow broken the <welcome-file>
mechanism for our extended servlet.

I've been churning through the source trying to find where the
<welcome-file>
stuff is implemented. I can see that the configuration is loaded into
the context,
but for the life of me I can't see how the DefaultServlet uses that
information.

I keep looking for something like:

if (isDirectory)
    if there's a welcome file
       serve the welcome file

But no luck. Perhaps this is buried in the ProxyDirContext that
abstracts the
actual file system resources?

Again, I'm lost. Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks,

Fred

Re: Extending DefaultServlet, broken welcome-file

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
You need to look at org.apache.tomcat.util.http.mapper.Mapper

Welcome files belong to the container since jsp's can be used as welcome
files and jsps are satisfied by a different servlet.

-Tim