Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2014/09/22 17:10:27 UTC

Re: Loading fonts problem

Furthermore, the cost of not having automated tests for your PDF generation
eclipses any other cost mentioned so far.

If I were a banker and my IT guy told me he can't upgrade a library, because
he does not have automated tests... hmm.... :)

Ulrich

Re: Loading fonts problem

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 4:01 AM, MartinKl <kl...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> thank you for reaction.
>
> I just wanted to explained why is not so easy to make automatic test.  I´ve
> decided to upgrade to fop 1.1 but I strugle the same problem.
>

> http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/Upgrading-fop-0-95-to-fop-1-1-because-of-PDF-A-1b-td41090.html#a41160
> <
> http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/Upgrading-fop-0-95-to-fop-1-1-because-of-PDF-A-1b-td41090.html#a41160
> >

> There is also an example.
>
> It is solved now but I had to apply two patches on stable 1.1 version to
> make it work.  Now we embed full fonts to the pdfs but the size of them
> increased dramatically so I would prefer to solve it.

A lot of work has occurred in trunk since 1.1 to reduce font embed sizes.
You really should try the current trunk build.

Re: Loading fonts problem

Re: Loading fonts problem

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
As I believe has been mentioned before, any part of the process of
translating from arbitrary XML into XSL-FO proper is effectively out of
scope for this ML and group unless it is a real bug in the convenience
mechanism provided by FOP to invoke XSLT for you.

If there is a problem parsing or formatting XSL-FO input, then you need to
focus on creating the smallest possible example of XSL-FO document that
demonstrates the problem.

Everything else that happens up to providing XSL-FO input should be viewed
as secondary as far as FOP is concerned.

Cheers,
Glenn

Re: Loading fonts problem