Posted to user-cs@ibatis.apache.org by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/21 09:54:04 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] iBATIS Project Team Moving to Google Code

*ANNOUNCEMENT*

Eight years ago in 2002, I created the iBATIS Data Mapper and introduced SQL
Mapping as an approach to persistence layer development.  Shortly
thereafter, I donated the iBATIS name and code to the Apache Software
Foundation.  The ASF has been the home of iBATIS for the past six years.

A lot changes in six years.  By 2010 we've seen a great deal of innovation
and change in the areas of development methodology, source control, social
networking and open-source infrastructure.  As part of the ASF, iBATIS has
had only limited ability to benefit from some of these new developments --
some of which are not all that new anymore.

Our project has a committed team, a vibrant community, a great culture of
cooperation and some exciting new releases.  But we believe we can make it
even better.

Therefore, the entire core development team of iBATIS has decided to
continue the development of the framework at a new home and with a new
name.

This includes all of the iBATIS for Java committers:

  * Clinton Begin
  * Brandon Goodin
  * Jeff Butler
  * Larry Meadors
  * Nathan Maves
  * Kai Grabfelder

And all of the iBATIS.NET committers:

  * Michael McCurrey
  * Ron Grabowski
  * Michael Schall

* NEW NAME AND HOME*

Both the Java and .NET project teams have forked the software to Google
Code, where they'll continue to maintain it and create new releases.

 * The names of the new projects are:  *MyBatis *and *MyBatis.NET*
 * The website for the new projects is:  http://www.mybatis.org
 * Java Google Code Project:  http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/
 * .NET Google Code Project:  http://code.google.com/p/mybatisnet/

* QUESTIONS & ANSWERS*

Some answers to obvious questions:

 * The license will not change
 * Your code will be fully compatible
 * The package names and namespaces won't change anytime soon
 * iBATIS 2 and 3 will be supported, with both 2.3.5 GA and 3.0.1 GA
releases becoming available immediately
 * iBATIS.NET 1.x and 3.x will be supported, with a new release coming
available soon
 * None of the existing Apache resources will be deleted
 * The Apache project will be archived in the Apache Attic, if or when it
becomes stale

*DATES*

  * Now - The Confluence wiki is already frozen (due to login issues)
  * By June 23rd - The Jira issue tracker will be changed to read-only mode
  * By June 30th - The team (mentioned above) will unsubscribe from the
Apache mailing lists
  * July 1st, 2010 - Marks the 8th birthday of the framework!

* GOALS*

We believe can improve a number of things by making this move, including
(but not limited to):

  * Lighter process
  * More frequent releases
  * Unified infrastructure
  * Modernized tools (source control etc.)
  * Build and deployment automation
  * Easier to use mailing lists
  * Single sign-on for users
  * Greater community involvement
  * More productive development team

*NEXT STEPS*

There are only a few things you need to do immediately, and a couple that
you'll need to do eventually.

  1. Sign up for new mailing lists (now)
  2. Use the new issue tracker and wiki (now)
  3. Change bookmarks / links to the new site (now)
  4. Download new build (when you need your next build)
  5. Change DTD/XSD DOCTYPE headers in XML files (after you upgrade in #4,
but old doctypes will work with the new framework too)

Full details for each of these steps can be found at the following Wiki
page.

http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/wiki/DocIbatis2MyBatis

Making this move is a big decision and a lot of work.  However, we truly
believe that the efforts will pay off.

We'd like to thank the Apache Software Foundation for the past six years of
working together.

We'll see you all on the other side.

Cheers,

Clinton Begin
Original Creator of iBATIS
http://www.mybatis.org

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] iBATIS Project Team Moving to Google Code

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi Clinton,
I'm sure you all had more than one good reason to leave the ASF home
and starting a new adventure. I hope this will be the time to
encourage people to submit MyBatis subprojects (3rd parts
integrations, caches integrations etc etc) and join the team.
Good luck!!!
Simo

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by cowwoc <co...@bbs.darktech.org>.
Hi Clinton,

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the questions Gili.

>> 1) Why the name change? Couldn't you keep the iBatis name even under
Google Code?

When I donated iBATIS to the ASF, it was unfortunately irreversible.  This
is due to the fact that Apache is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.  They
cannot turn over what might be considered "assets" to a private entity.

At the end of the day the name is just a way to find the software.  It would
have been easier to have the same name, but we believe our community is
strong enough to survive this.

Posted by cowwoc <co...@bbs.darktech.org>.
     Two questions:

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately no.  You would have had to join something -- or others
would have.  Many people have google accounts, so in addition to all
of the othe benefits of Google Code, we leveraged that too.

Clinton

--
Sent from my mobile device

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] iBATIS Project Team Moving to Google Code

Posted by Zoran Avtarovski <zo...@sparecreative.com>.