Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Arthur Berezin <ar...@gigaspaces.com> on 2016/08/04 14:47:10 UTC

ARIA TOSCA Project Proposal

Hi All

I would like to propose ARIA TOSCA to be an Apache Incubator Project.

ARIA TOSCA project offers an easily consumable Software Development
Kit(SDK) and a Command Line Interface(CLI) to implement TOSCA(Topology and
Orchestration Specification of Cloud Applications) based solutions which
will help in driving adoption of TOSCA, and help in market consolidation
around TOSCA based Orchestration.

One of the key attributes of the TOSCA specification by OASIS is that it is
a vendor neutral and technology agnostic specification, allowing to
describe applications and then to orchestrate them using various
technologies of choice, such as Amazon AWS, Google GCP, OpenStack, VMware,
Puppet, Ansible Chef, etc’. The reality is such that TOSCA is a complex
specification,making software vendors trying to implement the specification
make implementation decisions, ending up with different and incompatible
implementations, creating even more market segmentation instead of
consolidating around a single standard for orchestration.

ARIA a vendor neutral and technology agnostic(via plugins mechanism)
reference implementation of the TOSCA specification. It is an open source
python library that helps orchestrators and management tools in developing
TOSCA enabled solutions. ARIA aims to become the main reference
implementation of the OASIS TOSCA(Topology and Orchestration Specification
for Cloud Applications) specification for orchestrating cloud applications.

ARIA TOSCA targets NFV Orchestration and Hybrid/Multi Cloud orchestration
as main use-cases it solves.

ARIA can be executed via CLI to orchestrate application templates,
additionally it allows embedding its python library for creating TOSCA
compatible services, and includes rich set of plugins for Iaas
orchestration, such as Amazon AWS, Google GCP, OpenStack and VMWare; It
Includes plugins for Container orchestration, with Docker and Kubernetes
plugins, configuration management tools(Puppet,Chef, Ansible) and a rich
API that allows to create plugins for any new technology.

ARIA also serves as a codebase that allows to test the TOSCA specification,
and experiment with new approaches of modeling and orchestration of
applications, providing feedback and real world use cases OASIS to further
refine and advance the standard specification.

Please find the full project proposal here:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/AriaProposal

*Champion:*
Suneel Marthi

*Nominated Mentors*
Jakob Homan
John D. Ament
Suneel Marthi

Thank You,
Arthur Berezin

Re: ARIA TOSCA Project Proposal

Posted by Arthur Berezin <ar...@gigaspaces.com>.
Daniel, thanks for the feedback! I think that picking a completely unique
name for a project these days has become impossible. Other names we were
considering when we chose ARIA were in use in other places as well. There
is no ASF project that uses the name ARIA(yet:), and nothing in the
orchestration space named ARIA. Also while working with potential users of
the project the past several months no one bought up wai-aria, nor any of
the other existing things named aria, so we should be okay.

Thanks,
Arthur

Posted by dsh <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
All,

Any feedback on this proposal? If not, I would like to start a Voting
thread soon.

Suneel