Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Anson Abraham <an...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/21 18:28:44 UTC

move Hive from one distribution to another

I have a hive set of of tables.  Quite a large number of them are not
external tables but "internalized hive tables".  I have another hadoop
instance up and running.  Is there a way i can migrate the hive data from
one instance to another, and then create the hive tables on the new
instance?  Can that be done?  Again these tables are not external tables.
 So I'm kind of curious.
Thanks,
-Anson

Re: move Hive from one distribution to another

Posted by Bejoy KS <be...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Anson

Hive has the EXPORT IMPORT feature  since 0.8 that EXPORTs the table structure as well as data into a file which can be used for IMPORTing back to a new instance. A sample query could be
EXPORT TABLE <table name> TO 'location in hdfs';

IMPORT FROM 'location in hdfs';

For details please refer the following jira

Bejoy KS