Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org> on 2019/03/20 09:49:21 UTC

on "meritocracy"

this article crossed my news feed today:

https://www.fastcompany.com/40510522/meritocracy-doesnt-exist-and-believing-it-does-is-bad-for-you

here's a key takeaway:

> [...] in companies that explicitly held meritocracy as a core value,
managers assigned greater rewards to male employees over female employees
with identical performance evaluations. This preference disappeared where
meritocracy was not explicitly adopted as a value.

many aspects of this piece mirror something I wrote for Model View Culture
a few years ago:
https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/the-open-source-identity-crisis

namely, that "the meritocracy" is a status quo supporting, hierarchy
legitimizing myth used to justify people's existing social status and
treatment

I'll say what I've said before: it's long since time for us to critically
examine the way we use the concept of "meritocracy" at Apache (this is
especially true in 2019 given what we know about the lack of diversity at
the ASF)

when I was writing about this in 2014, I was already a few years behind the
curve re discourse about culture and tech diversity. it's now 2019 and even
FastCompany is writing about it

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
Thanks for these links to interesting reading. These are topics I care
deeply about. I'd be very interested in related analyses around specific
forms or instances of open source governance.

Kenn

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org>.
sorry for the double post...

I just noticed, from the blog post I linked, that GitHub replaced their
"meritocracy" slogan with:

"In collaboration we trust."

I like that!

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Rich,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 4:39 PM Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> ...I realized this morning that one of those changes may have stepped on
> Bertrand's toes, since he was the primary driver behind the Maturity
> Model prose, which is used in more than just this one place...

You mean by changing to "strives to be meritocratic" instead of "is
meritocratic" in CO40 at [1] ?

I have no problem with that - I tried to use active voice and simple
constructs in the original draft of that Maturity Model (which has
since been improved with contributions from great comdev people) but
didn't think hard about that nuance, so no worries about changing it.

Right now I see it says "is meritocratic" but if you want to change I
have no problem with that.

What might help is defining what meritocracy means to us. We already
have definitions or merit and meritocracy at
https://apache.org/foundation/glossary.html, maybe they need to be
tweaked with respect to recent changes in the perception of those
words.

-Bertrand

[1] https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 3/22/19 12:49 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> I’m not sure if you included the Incubator in your analysis. We have mentions of meritoc on six pages along with references to foundation pages and links.
>
> The pages are:
>
> guides/proposal.html
> guides/graduation.html
> guides/community.html
> guides/ppmc.html
> index.html
> policy/incubation.html

I didn't, as that's not content that I've ever touched, so I don't have
a checkout of that.

> Please provide guidance on changes to the Incubator.

Yeah, that guidance is definitely something we should come up with. But
I don't think that's going to be something that we can just issue an
edict on without broader discussion - a broader discussion which will
probably involve the membership, and much vitriol. Not looking forward
to that.

But my initial guidance, at least coming out of this thread, would be
edits that reflect s/is a meritocracy/strives towards meritocratic
ideals/ or something like that.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Rich,

I’m not sure if you included the Incubator in your analysis. We have mentions of meritoc on six pages along with references to foundation pages and links.

The pages are:

guides/proposal.html
guides/graduation.html
guides/community.html
guides/ppmc.html
index.html
policy/incubation.html

Please provide guidance on changes to the Incubator.

Regards,
Dave

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@icloud.com.INVALID>.
> On Mar 22, 2019, at 2:03 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>
> It would be very important to come up with a replacement that is
> as effective as what we're trying to replace. Frankly, I don't know
> a single candidate.
>
> Does anyone?

Here are some, can’t say they carry the same level of clarity or weight.

excellence, merit-based / merited, self-determination, deserving / deservingness, worthiness / being worthy of, getting one's due, be entitled / qualified to

—Shawn

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

On 3/22/19, 12:04 AM, "Roman Shaposhnik" <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:

    It would be very important to come up with a replacement that is
    as effective as what we're trying to replace. Frankly, I don't know
    a single candidate.

    Does anyone?

Do-ocracy - I think we've used this word before to describe the ASF.  Seems to have definitions in the Urban Dictionary.
Action-ocracy - This might be a new word and thus we can define it to be what we want it to be.

HTH,
-Alex

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Am 24. März 2019 01:44:49 MEZ schrieb Ross Gardler <ro...@gardler.me>:
> See a merit deserving action - call it out with a thank
>you.

I like this point, though what I observe is that this is often forgotten.

> If you have the patience I'll illustrate this with a story,

Thank you for sharing that story, to me it was a great illustration on how metrics alone can be gamed and turned unhelpful/ hurting their very purpose.

> In my opinion the best way to do this
>is to have the lowest possible bar. Having an artificially high bar is
>the real problem for lack of recognition. With a low bar one only needs
>to see a relatively low amount of contribution.

While that does work I can't help but feel reminded of

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*a8Zr3KWAXMif63uL1zkWLg.png

https://medium.com/@CRA1G/the-evolution-of-an-accidental-meme-ddc4e139e0e4    and.   http://interactioninstitute.org/illustrating-equality-vs-equity/ might be more stable, but I really think the image linked directly to above (the one changing dynamics by building a fence you can look through or removing the fence) captures our possibilities better than the original. And no, I have no clear cut solution that we can deploy, I do believe we have people here that can help create such solutions and patterns. Lowering the bar likely is one good pattern. Praising in public is another one. Focusing on mentoring ppl in might be another one. Keeping all communication in list is another one. Tagging communication to make it easier to deal with load might be one. .... I wonder what else can be done and when we should apply which pattern with what expected outcome.

>[If you are interested in the outcome of the above story... I asked the
>"struggling" manager why he didn't tell the lead what was happening. I
>never got a good answer. The outcome was that the lead fired the
>questionable manager, helped the other manager understand that she
>always needed to know when the process is broken and promoted him.

Talking to your people, doing some user research on what makes ppl stick with us and what makes them leave sounds like a good starting point. Also in our case. And likely in addition to processes and metrics.

Isabel

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Ross Gardler <ro...@gardler.me>.
No additional comment from me on the word choice. I do agree meritocracy is problematic given increasingly popular views on the model in other places - I've always been careful to warn that the difference between a meritocracy and a oligarchy is minimal. Which brings me to the recognition of merit.

I am never a fan of tools to solve a social problems. Tools do not bring visibility, they bring an opportunity to play the system. People shoulf take responsibility and actively demonstrate the way things should work. See a merit deserving action - call it out with a thank you. If you have the patience I'll illustrate this with a story, but feel free to stop reading now as I've made my point about tooling being potentially damaging.

Years ago I was brought into a client to help them understand why things were failing for them with respect to customer satisfaction. They were hitting all their support metrics, such as mean time to resolution, but their CSAT scores remained low. Their engineering teams were becoming worried that despite a genuine focus on customer needs they seemed to be building something people didn't like.

I was brought in as a consultant. I ignored the data they handed to me on day one. It came from the tools. I already knew that data was wrong since it told me they were meeting targets and their targets were good ones. I started talking to people about what they did to contribute to improving CSAT. I quickly found that engineering had a good process for prioritizing work that support tooling highlighted as problem areas. I found marketing were accurately representing current and future features. The sales teams were not over selling the product features. Support were picking up tickets and triaging them according to their best practice. I was baffled.

So I went to the tools, despite my lack of trust in their data. I started with the customer support cases. It looked like every other data set I'd seen before. A few tickets took a long time to resolve but they had good attention from product, engineering and support, while most tickets were resolved fairly quickly. I ran queries on the raw data, rather than relying on the roll-up queries the tool provided. That's when I saw it. There was one particular team (they worked on 3 x 8 shifts around the globe) who was killing it with respect to closing tickets in a timely way, and the team that followed was struggling. From the roll up data it looked like the second team struggled with hard tickets, though their performance on easier tickets was comparable. When I queried on these hard tickets alone I realized they had a tendency to re-open previously resolved tickets - and they were almost always hard ones.

I asked the support lead about these two teams. She told me that she had never managed to get the poorer team to really step up, there was no strong leader and while he and his team did good work, he just couldn't seem to hold his team together, new hires quickly quit or moved out of the support role. The better team was full of rockstars. She wasn't worried about hiring there because the manager just seemed to have a talent for finding the best. Her bigger worry there was having capacity to promote those people.

So I dug deeper. What I found was that the "better" team was led by a manager who played the system. He taught his team, for example, to close tickets as duplicates of newer tickets, even if they weren't related. The tool reported their resolution numbers as healthy, but they weren't really working with the customer. The team that followed picked up the newer tickets, recognized the "mistake", reopened the original and resolved both. The tool reported their numbers as poorer, but in reality they were doing way more work.

This is why the manager there couldn't hold his staff. They were fed up of correcting the bad work of others. As soon as they realized the others were getting promotions and their team was not they left.

The tools hid the truth. Only talking to people can truly recognize contribution. It is the responsibility of the people in the community to cultivate and recognize merit. In my opinion the best way to do this is to have the lowest possible bar. Having an artificially high bar is the real problem for lack of recognition. With a low bar one only needs to see a relatively low amount of contribution.

[If you are interested in the outcome of the above story... I asked the "struggling" manager why he didn't tell the lead what was happening. I never got a good answer. The outcome was that the lead fired the questionable manager, helped the other manager understand that she always needed to know when the process is broken and promoted him. She also put them in charge of training and process refinement across all three sites. Six months later they could see a very marked difference in their Customer Sat scores.]

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org>.
the Apache Software Foundation was started in 1999. that makes it 20 years
old. in 2016, our committer survey indicated that women make up 5.2% of our
committer base. Black people make up 0.1% (one single person who responded
to the survey)

I think it's about time to admit defeat and try something else

if we want to strive for an inclusive, equitable organization, the
literature (see the first article I linked to) tells us that embracing
"meritocracy" as a core value works against that goal

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <di...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
I fear that we have lost the original point made my Naomi.

In other circles, I have found people openly mocking the ASF as a
"mirror-tocracy" where we recognize merit only in people that look
like us.  Whether we agree with that or not, we have to accept that
that is a perception held by a non-trivial percent of the population.

If we truly were blind to sexuality, race, gender, age, etc., then one
would expect our ratios on these measurements to match the general
population, or at least industry norms.  Sadly, this is not the case.

I am concerned that stressing the "negatives" would be seen as
incredibly tone deaf.

- Sam Ruby

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019, Craig Russell wrote:

> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 14:51:59 +0000
> From: Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>
> To: dev@community.apache.org
> Cc: Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> Subject: Re: on "meritocracy"
>
> To me, meritocracy was always a force-fit to describe what we strive for.
>
> The terms with -ocracy all have the intended effect of invoking a
> top-down rule system of governance. I reject all such descriptions of
> how Apache works.
>
> How about just "merit-based" as a guiding principle. We don't have
> -ocracy at all. We strive for merit-based governance.

   Our audience is very international ; for many readers
   English is a second language.

   'Meritocracy' has 50+ language references in wikipedia,
   so the concept can be understood by almost everyone.

   When using the word 'Meritocracy', is is important to
   explain on which merits the meritocracy is based :
   -- community building
   -- software construction
   -- whatever

   With that in mind, 'Meritocracy' is better than some
   vague euphemism.

   Henk Penning

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 4:25 PM Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
>> I suspect the answer is not to replace the word but to do away with it
>> entirely
> I still would like to have a succinct handle to reference the ethos of ASF.

From my experience, there are words that are landmines in open source:

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Naomi,

Thanks for (re)starting this discussion. I’ve come to agree that there are serious problems with the word “meritocracy”. Everyone and every culture brings their own ever evolving definition. I brought up the Incubator because mentoring new podlings currently includes teaching that the ASF is a meritocracy and often pushing these projects into actually having discussions about which contributors should be invited to be committers and/or PPMC members. They each achieve their own “bar” for this. Some are “higher" and some “lower”. The ones that set a higher bar may be projects that will never grow enough to be sustainable and diverse enough to withstand the natural attrition of the “volunteers” that are currently driving the project.

To me the “non-expiring merit” that should be identified by an Apache Project Community is those who show that they “care" and willingly, regularly make even small contributions to the community. This can be as “insignificant” (to those who set a high bar) as answering user questions with regularity.

I don’t know if there is a single word for it, but I think we should be looking for those who willingly contribute in an Open, Sharing, Diverse, Inclusive, and Sustainable way. In many projects there have been moments when a Meritorious, High Energy, Driving person has become poisonous to that community and has needed to be driven away. This is never a fun process. A sustainable community that recognizes small contributions and grows volunteers can survive this. If not then the project is headed to the Attic or will be forked.

I agree with Rich that having this discussion with membership will encounter a fair amount of pushback (and filibustering in the 19th century sense of the word)

Regards,
Dave

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org>.
agreed re "do-ocracy"

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 10:53 AM Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> [...]
> genuinely want to do the right thing. That we haven't done the right
> thing is not, for the most part, due to a malicious intention to do the
> wrong thing. I try, really hard, to assume good intent when crafting
> messages. If we assume everyone is Stuart Varney, we'll end up with
> messaging that will offend everyone and inform nobody.
>
> > my experience attempting to bring this sort of thing "to the
> > congregation" (i.e., members@) in the past is *the primary reason* I
> > burnt out and took hiatus for as long as I did. it was extremely
> > exhausting. being challenged by multiple people on every little point.
> > being drawn into long, circular, unproductive, and hostile arguments.
> > having to manage other people's emotions/outrage/flames
> >
> > traumatizing too, to be honest
> >
> > it is ironic (and bitterly unfair) that this sort of work often has to
> > be done by the people who have a material stake in what is being
> > dismissed and who are already exhausted/traumatized from all the times
> > they've had these sorts of conflicts before
>
> Yes, agreed. Also ironic is how some of us who desperately want to help
> are often unable to do so, because, as a white, middle aged, bearded,
> financially successful man, I'm a large part of the problem, and so my
> voice doesn't carry nearly the weight of yours.
>
> > I don't know what to do, to be honest. I don't have the emotional or
> > psychological health required to butt heads on members@ anymore
>
> I am willing to take on that fight, whenever and however I can. I often
> feel that I'm trying to mop up the sea with a paper towel. And these
> discussions in Apache-land are pretty consistently LESS hostile than in
> other communities I'm part of.
>
> > perhaps a good first step would be to update the material the ComDev
> > project is responsible for? phase out the word "meritocracy" (and maybe
> > add a note that acknowledges this change and gives a rationale). reframe
> > our values and approach as per my last email. from there, we could move
> > on to http://theapacheway.com/ (if Shane is up for it) and then the
> > Apache website proper, Incubator, etc. let it percolate through
>
> +1 to phasing out the word. -0 to providing a rationale for doing so, as
> it would seem to be a distraction, and picking a fight. Rather, finding
> the right/best phrasing, and moving to it, without necessarily drawing
> attention to the change, seems like a way to avoid pointless pushback
> from our Usual Suspects that tend to poop on any attempt to balance our
> community diversity.
>
> FWIW:
>
> [rbowen@sasha:comdev/site]$ grep -ri meritocracy | wc -l
> 4
>
> So, that one's easy ...
>

> [rbowen@sasha:apache/www-site]$ grep -ri meritocracy ./ | wc -l
> 150
>
> Somewhat more challenging, and would require considerable cooperation
> from Sally to ensure that we are in line with approved messaging.

Yup. Plus I'm still not sure what's being proposed as a replacement.

Putting aside my personal feeling about the *word* meritocracy, it is,
as labels go -- a very succinct one. This is very useful since it allows
us to label the ethos of ASF very efficiently (whether or not we're using
the label incorrectly is, to your point, more of a "origin of the word"
conversation -- at this point we appropriated it as far as I'm concerned).

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
FYI, as you may have seen, I've made the following change in a couple of
places. I think it only goes part-way to solving the problem, but it
replaces "is" with "strives to be" in every place on
community.apache.org where this term occurs.

We can, of course, do more, but I didn't want to be random with it. I'd
like to come to an agreement as to what change, exactly, we wish to make.

This also ties in to the recent blog post -
https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the-apache-way-to-sustainable
- which, as you may note, doesn't use the term even once.

Anyways, I think we can, and should, start looking through the list of
150 on www.apache.org and seeing what changes should be made there.

[rbowen@sasha:content/apache-way]$ svn diff

                                                     (03-21 14:27)
Index: apache-project-maturity-model.mdtext
--- apache-project-maturity-model.mdtext	(revision 1856006)
+++ apache-project-maturity-model.mdtext	(working copy)
@@ -179,7 +179,7 @@

 <dt id="CO40">CO40</dt>
 <dd>
-The community is meritocratic and over time aims to give more rights and
+The community strives to be meritocratic and over time aims to give
more rights and
 responsibilities to contributors who add value to the project.
 </dd>

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org>.
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 at 17:04, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> As alluded to, I am aware of people in our community who believe that we
> have achieved this goal, and that any inference to the contrary is
> crazy-making. I explicitly disagree with that stance. We have clearly
> *not* achieved this goal, and I was laboring under the assumption that
> this was known, to most of us.
>
> https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/it-is-known-gif-13.gif

I feel like this is a good opportunity to bring up (as I have brought up
before) the fact that "meritocracy" was invented for the purposes of a
satirical *dystopian* novel. in the novel, the moral lesson is that any
attempt to build a meritocracy is doomed to failure because it presupposes
that the people with power and status can be relied upon to fairly judge
who ought to have power and status

see https://kottke.org/17/03/the-satirical-origins-of-the-meritocracy
or https://boingboing.net/2019/03/18/poes-law-for-oligarchs.html
or for a longer take
http://stet.editorially.com/articles/you-keep-using-that-word/

note: I am not saying ah we should abandon any effort to recognize people's
contributions and commitment to our projects and the foundation. what I
*am* saying is that it is unfortunate that in our effort to build a fair
and equitable organization we have instrumentalized an idea from a
satirical work of fiction that (as per my first email) has the opposite
effect from that which is intended

What various members of our community object to is simply discarding the
> concept and not replacing it with something. What *I* object to is the
> notion that if we just come up with another word for it, Everything Will
> Be OK. To me, that's clearly nonsense.

yeah. I don't believe that either. but I do believe that the way we talk
about who we are and what we do is important (and impactful) and that we
should evaluate whether there is room for improvement

Well, yes and no. It's great to be committed, but unless that leads to
> contributions (not just code) then it does not advance the project. In
> the end, we are running software projects, and warm feelings don't
> advance these projects. *Actions* do.

it was a mistake for me to bring up the "committer" discussion. it's
tangential. and it has been discussed a lot on the CouchDB lists. I don't
want to muddy the waters here, so let's just stick to the meritocracy stuff
:)

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 3/21/19 10:51 AM, Naomi Slater wrote:
> "I'm not aware of anybody (ok, fine, I am aware of one person) that thinks
> that Apache has arrived at meritocratic ideals. Rather, we strive towards
> them."
>
> that's not how we communicate it at all, in my view. here's an ASF blog
> post from 2017 which, in my opinion, is representative of the tone we use
> when speaking about "meritocracy" at Apache:
>
> https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/success-at-apache-meritocracy
>
>> What we are is a Meritocracy. To be able to have a say, you have to prove
> your worth in a system of merit. Meritocracy is a key part of The Apache
> Way.
>
> this speaks in confident absolutes: "we *are* a meritocracy"

Ok. You're right, and I will very intentionally try to change my framing
of this issue whenever I speak of it.

> there is a presumption (here, and across the foundation, almost every time
> it has been brought up or mentioned, in my experience) that we're doing it
> (and by it, I mean "meritocracy") well. and a brief look at the homogeneity
> of our committer/member base should be enough to disabuse anyone of that
> notion (unless you believe--and I don't think anyone on this lists
> does--that monied white men just happen to be overwhelmingly more
> meritorious)

As alluded to, I am aware of people in our community who believe that we
have achieved this goal, and that any inference to the contrary is
crazy-making. I explicitly disagree with that stance. We have clearly
*not* achieved this goal, and I was laboring under the assumption that
this was known, to most of us.

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/it-is-known-gif-13.gif

> this is precisely the outcome that the first article predicts
>
> I can't think of anything that should scare the members of this
> organization more than the idea that by embracing "meritocracy" as a core
> value we ensure that we do worse than other organizations as far as
> inclusion/equity/bias is concerned

Right ... but I don't believe that's what's being said. Meritocracy is a
target, not an established reality. I agree with your assessment that we
need to take steps to talk about it in those terms more intentionally.

What various members of our community object to is simply discarding the
concept and not replacing it with something. What *I* object to is the
notion that if we just come up with another word for it, Everything Will
Be OK. To me, that's clearly nonsense.

I mean, we *want* to recognize people based on their contributions,
right? If we're not doing that, we need to both do better, and talk
about it differently. But talking about it with different words is only
a small part of changing it.

> I'm not suggesting that we make radical changes to the way we recognize
> people's commitment to projects or the foundation as a whole. I am
> suggesting that we change the way we talk about it

++1

> it can be as simple as saying that "we strive to recognize people's
> commitment" and explain that this is how people are elected to various
> positions within projects and the foundation as a whole

I'm very much in favor of this framing.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org>.
"It appears to state that because we haven't yet achieved equity, we
shouldn't bother striving for it"

is this in relation to the first article or the second? either way, it's
not what I'm suggesting

I'm not too sure how to answer your question without repeating what is said
in the article. but the key point for me is that observation that
organizations that fancy themselves as "meritocratic" actually exhibit
*more* unconscious bias (and are thus, ironically, *less* meritocratic than
organizations that don't enshrine this as a value)

furthermore, this bias appears to happen because believing that one is
"meritocractic" lulls one into a false sense of security re the state of
one's ability to acknowledge merit in an unbiased manner

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org>.
don't wanna spam the list. but here's a bit of serendipity. another piece
crossed my newsfeed today

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/8/21/17687402/kylie-jenner-luck-human-life-moral-privilege

this one is a longer read. but perhaps interesting for this list's
subscribers, because builds quite nicely on the core ideas of the previous
post

specifically:

> These recent controversies reminded me of the fuss around a book that
came out a few years ago: Success and Luck: Good Fortune and the Myth of
Meritocracy, by economist Robert Frank. (Vox’s Sean Illing interviewed
Frank last year.) It argued that luck plays a large role in every human
success and failure, which ought to be a rather banal and uncontroversial
point, but the reaction of many commentators was gobsmacked outrage. On Fox
Business, Stuart Varney sputtered at Frank: “Do you know how insulting that
was, when I read that?”

that outrage certainly mirrors some of the reactions I have witnessed when
I have suggested that structural inequities (and not 100% "merit") have a
role to play in someone's position of power/respect/success in tech

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 3/28/19 8:16 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:53 PM Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
>> ...I'll say what I've said before: it's long since time for us to critically
>> examine the way we use the concept of "meritocracy" at Apache...
>
> I have just a small comment about this: I think we use "meritocracy"
> to mean that someone who *adds value* to a project gets more rights
> and responsibilities.
>
> And "adding value" has nothing to do with who you are, it just means
> you are making positive contributions to a project.
>
> Framing things like that, and maybe finding a simple way to express
> that concept, might help.

https://www.apache.org/theapacheway seems to make good steps in that
direction, and is the message that we need to be getting behind, and
linking to, when communicating what we mean.

Re: on "meritocracy"

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,