Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> on 2003/01/05 22:58:11 UTC

DynaActionFormClass.getDynaActionFormClass

This used to work fine with 1.1b2, but now it's not even available:

org.apache.struts.action.DynaActionFormClass
   .getDynaActionFormClass("messageForm").newInstance();

D:\source\onpoint\src\onpoint\com\onpoint\webapp\action\CourseCatalogAct
ion.java:81: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : method getDynaActionFormClass (java.lang.String)
location: class org.apache.struts.action.DynaActionFormClass
                   .getDynaActionFormClass("messageForm").newInstance();

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

RE: DynaActionFormClass.getDynaActionFormClass

Posted by Matt Smith <ma...@incursiontech.com>.
I am using this for 1.1.b3:

    FormBeanConfig cfg =
mapping.getModuleConfig().findFormBeanConfig(mapping.getAttribute());
    ActionForm form = null;

    if (cfg.getDynamic()) {
      form =
(ActionForm)DynaActionFormClass.createDynaActionFormClass(cfg).newInstance()
;
    } else {
      form =
(ActionForm)Class.forName(mapping.getModuleConfig().findFormBeanConfig(mappi
ng.getAttribute()).getType()).newInstance();
    }

m.

DynaActionForm myForm = new DynaActionForm();

?? Man - that would be slick if (true)!

Thanks,

Matt

Posted by Franco Caponi <fr...@tin.it>.
 I don't want prepopulate the ActionForm entirely, but only of the parameter
 needed by the target Action, therefore the same parameter that it require
 from all pages that call it.
 I don't want replicate the code execute in a target action, because then i
 need then maintain it, test it, and moreover it don't prepopulate only the
 action forms but use several ejb to get other bean needed by the jsp.

 I want illustrate my design of a simple system for edit, insert, list
products for example to comprise my problem.

Start page is the list, from wich the user can do insert or edit.
I have four action:
1) /prepareInsert.do that did not receive parameter, make all necessary
calls to EJB to obtain list of values (html select) from wich the user
choose product attribute (for example the product category) and then forward
to the jsp with the insert forms.

2) /executeInsert.do that receive all data inserted from user, call the EJB
create method and read the assigned product Id (primary key with a
sequence).

3) /prepareModify.do that receive only the primary key and calls ejb lists,
execute hte ejbFind by primary key to obtain the value object and copy it on
the modifyActionForm and then forward to a jsp with the module for editing.

4) /executeModidy that receive all modified data and the primary key and
apply them on the db.

 The prepareModify.do was called from the list passing them the product id
with the regular framework workflow (a form submitted and the servlet that
call the populate method).
Also the executeInsert.do action need to forward to the prepareModify.do
because the functionality that i want do to the user is that after the
insert form, the system present the modify form, wich has more sections that
insert (in the same manner of the list).

I don't want to chain my action, i want pass control to another action in
the same manner that i do from a jsp page!!!

My current implementation of this feature is that the executeModify.do
populate an additional javabean (not the ActionForm of the prepareModify)
with the product id and then forward the control to the prepareModify. The
prepareModify (before another instruction) must check in the request to see
if exists this bean and then copy its values in the ActionForm, then execute
the common code.

What the framework must provide (for me) is a mechanism to provide forward
to another action in the same paradigm of the jsp that invoke actions (by
get or post), without requiring additional code on the target actions...
What do you think about this?

I think that the implementation of this feature is very simple:
-ActionForward with a collection (or a DynaBean) of parameters (only string
and string[] parameters like input fields on forms)
-processForward() on the servlet controller that uses this collection of
parameter calling a method similar to the populate method called on
requests.

I think that this feature can be very useful in the framework!!!
Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Franco Caponi <fr...@tin.it>.
My previous post is not correct (excuse me)... because now i have
successfully called RequestUtils.createActionForm() with the cast needed:
Code was correct,
My error was the mapping name that must not end with .do.

Problem is that when i have prepopulated the ActionForm, saved it on the
request and return the ActionForward that forward to another Action class
(/prepareModify.do) the controller launch the new Action with the ActionForm
cleared (I think that try to populate it from the request).

There is a clear manner to pass information to an ActionForward that the
controller use to prepopulate ActionForms like request parameters?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Franco Caponi wrote:

> Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:06:06 +0100
> From: Franco Caponi <fr...@tin.it>
> To: Struts Developers List <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: DynaActionFormClass.getDynaActionFormClass
>
> Hi Craig,
> I have tha same problem: from an Action class i need to create the
> ActionForm associated with a particular mapping and populate some properties
> before returning the correct ActionForward, but i don't know how call the
> suggested RequestUtils.createActionForm().
>
> My problem is how to supply the ActionMapping parameter because i have found
> only the findActionConfig on the ModuleConfig that return a superclass of
> ActionMapping.
>
> Calling it with a cast to ActionMapping generate a NullPointerException...

You should get a ClassCastException if this were really an instance type
problem.  Without the stack trace, it's impossible to know what is really
happening.

> Can you supply a simple example/ How to??

Here's an additional technique that is a little more work, but just starts
with a ModuleConfig and a form bean name.

  ModuleConfig mconfig = ... ModuleConfig for the current module
  FormBeanConfig fbconfig = mconfig.findFormBeanConfig("foo");
  DynaActionFormClass dafc =
    new DynaActionFormClass(fbconfig);
  DynaActionForm daf = dafc.newInstance();

> TIA

Craig

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Matt Raible wrote:

> Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 20:52:22 -0700
> From: Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>
> To: 'Struts Developers List' <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: DynaActionFormClass.getDynaActionFormClass
>
> After looking at this method, I don't know that it will work for me:
>
> createActionForm(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest request,
> 	ActionMapping mapping, ModuleConfig moduleConfig, ActionServlet
> servlet)
>
> My form is not associated with a particular mapping, as I'm creating it
> on the fly and using it to send an e-mail message.  There's got to be an
> easy way to do this - any examples?

If it's not really a form bean, why are you trying to use the form bean
machinery?  I'd go suggest using something like BasicDynaClass (in
org.apache.commons.beanutils) instead.  The Javadocs for commons-beanutils
have info about this class and the others -- see the package description.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/beanutils/api/

> How do I get the mapping if the form is not associated with any actions
> - or even if it is?
>
> This was working great for me in 1.1b2:
>
> DynaActionForm requestForm = (DynaActionForm) DynaActionFormClass
> 	.getDynaActionFormClass(Constants.REQUEST_KEY).newInstance();

Try putting the 1.1-b2 struts.jar file in your container's shared
directory, and then deploy two different webapps that have a form bean
(with different properties) of the same name.  You'll find out very
quickly why this method was yanked.

> But now it's gone :(  I'd love a quick HowTo for writing this same logic
> with Struts 1.1 b3.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Craig

RE: DynaActionFormClass.getDynaActionFormClass

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Matt Raible wrote:

> Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 17:12:51 -0700
> From: Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>
> To: 'Struts Developers List' <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: DynaActionFormClass.getDynaActionFormClass
>
> Has it become as easy as:
>
> DynaActionForm myForm = new DynaActionForm();
>
> ?? Man - that would be slick if (true)!

Unfortunately, that is not technically feasible :-).

Your best bet is the utility method RequestUtils.createActionForm().  As
an extra added advantage, this works for either standard ActionForm beans
or DynaActionForm beans.

> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Craig

RE: DynaActionFormClass.getDynaActionFormClass

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
Has it become as easy as: