Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Mark Lavi <ml...@sgi.com> on 2006/12/13 19:47:27 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] mod_auth_ldap

This question is best suited towards the community behind the LDAP
libraries or the LDAP authentication module you are speaking about.

However, it's a pretty easy guess you are speaking about OpenLDAP, which
is distributed as a single tarball of code for the libraries, command
line tools, and server. There's no way around that unless you find
another distribution, perhaps via another source, which I wouldn't
recommend. It's always best to deal with primary sources or mirrors and
be sure to check the signatures on anything you download.

You've got nothing to worry about: building and installing OpenLDAP
*does not* run the LDAP server.

You (or someone on the system with administrative privileges) would need
to initiate starting the server. You can also delete the server binaries
and configuration if you wish, but it's simplest to never run any of the
LDAP server start up scripts. I recommend reading the OpenLDAP
administrator handbook to learn more about what files constitute the
server, startup, and configuration rather than ask further here.

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Lavi, Enterprise Web Management Team @ SGI