Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com> on 2012/09/04 19:07:40 UTC

Can't get out of safemode

Observe:

~/ $ hd fs -put test /test
put: org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.SafeModeException: Cannot create file/test. Name node is in safe mode.
~/ $ hadoop dfsadmin -safemode leave
Safe mode is OFF
~/ $ hadoop dfsadmin -safemode get
Safe mode is ON
~/ $ hadoop dfsadmin -safemode leave
Safe mode is OFF
~/ $ hadoop dfsadmin -safemode get
Safe mode is ON
~/ $ hd fs -put test /test
put: org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.SafeModeException: Cannot create file/test. Name node is in safe mode.
~/ $

Grrr!

sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                           --  Galileo Galilei

Re: Can't get out of safemode

Posted by Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com>.
Yep, moving the NN to the secondary larger disk seems to have improved it.  Thanks again for your great help Harsh (and others).

Cheers!

On Sep 7, 2012, at 08:31 , Harsh J wrote:

> The issue was that Keith's NN was out of resources (low disk space)
> and that forced the NN into safemode. This was detected on another
> thread from him.
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Dino Kečo <di...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> I was having same problem on my small cluster and some blocks where missing
>> on DFS. I have used this command
>>
>> hadoop dfsadmin -safemode leave
>>
>> and after that i have run dfs disk check to see which files are corrupted.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Dino Kečo
>> msn: xdinno@hotmail.com
>> mail: dino.keco@gmail.com
>> skype: dino.keco
>> phone: +387 61 507 851
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Adam Brown <ad...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> sorry
>>>
>>> @Keith
>>>
>>> are you sure your datanodes have reported in?

"Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn his lesson, that to be
self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to aspire is better than to
be blindly and impotently happy."
                                           --  Edwin A. Abbott, Flatland

Re: Can't get out of safemode

Posted by Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com>.

Re: Can't get out of safemode

Posted by Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com>.

Re: Can't get out of safemode

Posted by Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com>.

Re: Can't get out of safemode

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Can't get out of safemode

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Can't get out of safemode

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Can't get out of safemode

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Can't get out of safemode

Posted by Dino Kečo <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Keith,

I was having same problem on my small cluster and some blocks where missing
on DFS. I have used this command

*hadoop dfsadmin -safemode leave*
*
*