Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ricardo Moral <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2002/11/06 20:56:28 UTC

Need Help?

Hi! Mi name is Richard.

I'm writing you because I've been using Log4j for a
long time and I love it!

I think is time for me to give something in
recognition to your hard work. I've been looking to
your plan and there is an item assined to Ceki
involving the DOMConfigurator and the Digester API
from the Commons sub-project.

I've worked a lot with the Digester, using the
included rules and writing my own rules. I know very
well the code of both proyects and I think I can help.

Please let me know If I might be of help. And if so
tell me what are your plans for this item...

Greetings.
Richard.

Re: Need Help?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
DOM bashing is a popular passtime among Java developers. While it is
true that a Java specific API could have been offered a much nicer
interface, e.g. JDOM, the DOM API gets the job done. It is not pretty
but it works.

I had never given thought to the weight issue. What I like about DOM
is that given its tree-like structure where you can search for elements
forwards and backwards. You can't do that with SAX unless you
artificially recreate the tree structure.

The Ant developers faced a similar choice between SAX and DOM. I
wonder what they chose and why.

Don't let me stifle your creative energies. I am totally open to fresh
ideas and new implementations.

Ceki

others. -- Jon Postel, RFC 793

Re: Need Help?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Monday, November 11, 2002, at 02:03 PM, Ricardo Moral wrote:

<snip>

> Could there be some problems with the people from Digester
> if we do something like this?

of course! i'll personally hide outside your house and then read vogon
poetry at your when you come out ;)

ceki discussed this kind of thing on the commons list a while back. no one
have even the merest hint of a problem. feel free to modify - that's what
open source is all about.

- robert

Re: Need Help?

Posted by Ricardo Moral <ri...@yahoo.com>.

--- Ceki G�lc� <ce...@qos.ch> wrote:
> [...]
> > >

>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103462610700004&r=1&w=2
> > >
> > > James Strachan's commit:
> > >

>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103462610700004&r=1&w=2
> > >
> > > My response:
> > >

>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=103479543318721&w=2
> > >
> > > I hope it makes sense.

> for a

> looking to
> API

> > > very
> can
> > > help.

> if so

> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ceki
> > >
> > > TCP implementations will follow a general
> principle
> > > of robustness: be
> > > conservative in what you do, be liberal in what

=== message truncated ===

Re: Need Help?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
> [...]

> > >your plan and there is an item assined to Ceki
> > >involving the DOMConfigurator and the Digester API
> > >from the Commons sub-project.
> > >
> > >I've worked a lot with the Digester, using the
> > >included rules and writing my own rules. I know
> > very
> > >well the code of both proyects and I think I can
> > help.
> > >
> > >Please let me know If I might be of help. And if so
> > >tell me what are your plans for this item...
> > >
> > >Greetings.
> > >Richard.

> > <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >For additional commands, e-mail:
> > <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >
> > --
> > Ceki
> >
> > TCP implementations will follow a general principle
> > of robustness: be
> > conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you

Ceki

others. -- Jon Postel, RFC 793

Re: Need Help?

Posted by Ricardo Moral <ri...@yahoo.com>.
Geki...

Re: Need Help?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Hi Richard,

There was discussion about extensible log4j config files on this list and
commons-dev.

Here are some mails I find relevant:

I started with this:

http://www.qos.ch/specs/joran-specs.html

Then, started a commons-sandbox project called joran. Then the following
happened:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=103461128905013&w=2

James Strachan's commit:

My response:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=103479543318721&w=2

I hope it makes sense.

At 11:56 06.11.2002 -0800, Ricardo Moral wrote:
>Hi! Mi name is Richard.
>
>I'm writing you because I've been using Log4j for a
>long time and I love it!
>
>I think is time for me to give something in
>recognition to your hard work. I've been looking to
>your plan and there is an item assined to Ceki
>involving the DOMConfigurator and the Digester API
>from the Commons sub-project.
>
>I've worked a lot with the Digester, using the
>included rules and writing my own rules. I know very
>well the code of both proyects and I think I can help.
>
>Please let me know If I might be of help. And if so
>tell me what are your plans for this item...
>
>Greetings.
>Richard.

Ceki

others. -- Jon Postel, RFC 793