Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2006/06/20 18:29:36 UTC

Version number in pom.xml

We currently have <version>incubating-M1</version> in all our pom.xml
files. What do you think we should use now?
SNAPSHOT?
1.0-SNAPSHOT?
0.1-SNAPSHOT?

Any opinions?

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Version number in pom.xml

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
[snip]
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> Simon,
>
> Unfortunately, with the way Maven 2 works, if you don't have a version number
> at the beginning, you are asking for problems, especially for maven plugins.
> I've gone over this with the Maven folks a couple times now.   The maven
> version numbers should ALWAYS be:
> #.#[.#]*[-text][-SNAPSHOT]
> or
> #.#[.#]-#      (for updates to a release), like 1.0-1 or something.
>
> After thinking about it, I might suggest:
> 0.92-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT
> where we use the SCA version number.   That would kind of keep us from going
> to a 1.0 release until the spec is 1.0.   I'm not sure if that's a bad thing
> or not.
>

> Dan

I like that 0.92-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT. If there's no objection I'll
change incubating-M1 to that tomorrow morning.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Version number in pom.xml

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
The Tuscany project needs a set of spec jars that matches the
Tuscany implementation.  These probably won't exactly match any
well-defined level of the spec, at least over the next few months
as the SCA spec evolves towards 1.0 and the SDO spec evolves
towards 2.1.  I think these spec jars should be versioned in
the same way as the Tuscany implementation because they are
effectively part of it.

It would be possible for Tuscany to (in addition) do as you
suggest and produce spec jars at various published levels of the
"moving target" SCA and SDO specs.  I don't think this would be
a good idea.  It should be the spec group that produces official
spec jars matching given stable levels of the spec, such as 1.0,
1.1, etc.  There's no reason for the spec group to produce jars
for intermediate draft levels such as 0.92 (because there is no
chance of applications being portable across implementations at
these intermediate draft levels).  Similarly I don't see a
reason why Tuscany would produce spec jars matching these
intermediate levels unless they were needed as part of the
Tuscany implementation.

   Simon

Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> Simon Nash wrote:
>
>>I think the same reasoning should apply to the org.osoa jars.
>>We should not tie them to a particular SCA spec revision, such
>>as 0.92, while the spec is stil evolving.  For example, by the
>>time we release M2, the spec may be at 0.93 or later.  Also, not
>>all parts of the spec are currently at 0.92.  Some are at 0.95.
>>For SDO APIs, the spec level that we are supporting is a mix of
>>2.01 and 2.1.  I'm inclined to think we should just use
>>  1.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT
>>for the spec jars as well.
>>

> I think perhaps I wasn't quite clear enough. The "0.92" bit was really
> just an example. What I was really trying to say was that the version
> number for the spec jars should contain somewhere the version number of
> the spec document that the jar related to. It would be completely
> independent of the version of our implementation.
>
> Following this convention, the version for the jars we released with M1
> would change to
>    0.9-incubating
> as the Java C&I spec from November is "SCA Version 0.9, November 2005"
>
> When the next draft is published, the version would then be bumped to
>    0.92-incubating
> or whatever the final version of that draft is.
>
> We don't need to wait until M2 to version these jars - IMO their release
> cycle should be tied to specification releases rather than our
> implementation releases.
>
> This would also mean that the SDO API jars had a different version
> number, probably 2.01. Again this is different from what we support in a
> particular implementation release.
>
> The API jars should be a resource that can be used independently from
> Tuscany. For example, someone should be able to compile against them and
> know that their application would be portable to any other SCA
> implementation (at least at the API level, whether it worked would be a
> different issue).
>
> --
> Jeremy

Simon C Nash   IBM Distinguished Engineer
Hursley Park, Winchester, UK   nash@hursley.ibm.com
Tel. +44-1962-815156   Fax +44-1962-818999

Re: Version number in pom.xml

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: Version number in pom.xml

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
I accept your point that we shouldn't tie Tuscany release numbers
to spec revision numbers.  Given that, and the need to have some
number because of maven requirements, your suggestion of
   1.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT
seems to be the best choice for the implementation code.

Re: Version number in pom.xml

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: Version number in pom.xml

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.