Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2019/12/23 23:48:28 UTC

Spark 3.0 branch cut and code freeze on Jan 31?

We've pushed out 3.0 multiple times. The latest release window documented on the website ( http://spark.apache.org/versioning-policy.html ) says we'd code freeze and cut branch-3.0 early Dec. It looks like we are suffering a bit from the tragedy of the commons, that nobody is pushing for getting the release out. I understand the natural tendency for each individual is to finish or extend the feature/bug that the person has been working on. At some point we need to say "this is it" and get the release out. I'm happy to help drive this process.

To be realistic, I don't think we should just code freeze * today *. Although we have updated the website, contributors have all been operating under the assumption that all active developments are still going on. I propose we *cut the branch on* *Jan 31* *, and code freeze and switch over to bug squashing mode, and try to get the 3.0 official release out in Q1*. That is, by default no new features can go into the branch starting Jan 31.

What do you think?

And happy holidays everybody.

Re: Spark 3.0 branch cut and code freeze on Jan 31?

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
Sounds fine.
I am trying to get pandas UDF redesign done (SPARK-28264
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-28264>) on time. Hope I can
make it.

2019년 12월 24일 (화) 오후 4:17, Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com>님이 작성:

Posted by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com>.