Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/29 16:31:13 UTC

What sort of major release support plan do we want to provide?

Team,

We should discuss an important topic that Sean Busbey raised which is
what is our plan to support major release lines.

We should identify:
- how long to support the previous major release line(s)
- what type of support we'd provide (feature porting, bugs only,
critical bugs only, critical security bugs only)

I would like to propose that we only offer critical security bug fixes
to old release lines as a general philosophy.  But I am certainly ears
open to understanding a broader view from users or those more
experienced managing these sorts of projects.

Look forward to seeing some thoughtful perspectives and inputs.

Thanks
Joe

Re: What sort of major release support plan do we want to provide?

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@gmail.com>.
Assuming major upgrades will sometimes break compatibility, I think we need
to plan on providing general bug fixes, not just security or critical
fixes, to at least the last major release. I like the idea of those patch
releases becoming less frequent as the age of the release increases. I
don't think we should prioritize new features for older major releases, but
I could imagine there will be times when it's required like in situations
like HBase 0.94 that Sean mentioned.

For releases older than N-1, I'd think only critical bugs and security
fixes are needed. Assuming we get a good cadence of major releases, I think
that dropping support for anything older than N-2 or N-3 would also make
sense.

-Joey

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--