Posted to dev@ariatosca.apache.org by D Jayachandran <d....@ericsson.com> on 2017/09/14 10:49:31 UTC

get_artifact function usage

Hi,

We were looking at "get_artifact" function usage in the service template. It seems we don't have an implementation for it currently.
The get_artifact function has the below grammer as per the spec.

get_artifact: [ <modelable_entity_name>, <artifact_name>, <location>, <remove> ]

We have few clarifications and questions over this.

Do we need to use the get_artifact function only for input value assignment within a specific operation ?

We have 3 options before as per the grammer

  1.  Retrieving artifact without specified location - without (location)
  2.  Retrieving artifact as a local path - with location as LOCAL_FILE
  3.  Retrieving artifact in a specified location - with location as user given path
How does the orchestrator need to handle these 3 options
With 1st option as per the example , it seems the orchestrator should host the provided artifact in a local path of remote URL and assign that URL to input variable.
With 2nd option the orchestrator should store the artifacts in a local path (orchestrator provided ) and have that path assigned to the input variable
With 3rd option the orchestrator should store the artifacts in a local path(user provided) and have that path assigned to the input variable
With these 3 options we also have an option to remove the artifact after the operation execution.
So the questions is when should the get_artifact be resolved ? Is it during the parsing or during the execution ?

Regards,
DJ

Re: get_artifact function usage

Posted by Tal Liron <ta...@cloudify.co>.
1) You can embed files and the execution plugin can reference them and copy
them remotely.
2) You can define artifact types and attach them to node types and
templates, and all that is parsed correctly.

By "divorced" I mean that those two mechanisms are separate. The goal is to
have every file be a valid TOSCA "artifact".

Posted by Arthur Berezin <ar...@cloudify.co>.

Posted by Tal Liron <ta...@cloudify.co>.

Posted by D Jayachandran <d....@ericsson.com>.
Hi Tal,

Thanks for the clarification. When we say download, does the artifact can be at remote location or part of the CSAR ?

Regards,
DJ

Sorry, I forgot to answer this. The answer is not good: sadly, there is no solid support for artifacts in ARIA right now beyond parsing. This function is currently a no-op.

Rather than just implement this function, I think it should be tackled as part of comprehensive support for artifacts: validation, downloading, copying, and verification. I think we have a JIRA for it somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Posted by Tal Liron <ta...@cloudify.co>.

Posted by D Jayachandran <d....@ericsson.com>.
Hi,