Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kev M <ke...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/24 19:23:55 UTC

Petty and Sad

I schadenfreude your dev list every once and awhile. Just to see observe
how organizations disband. Couldn't care less if AOO turns it around or not
tbh. All the power to you if you find enough devs to get better. The more
real competition the better for innovation.

But I gotta say it's pretty sad and petty to be giving false information to
uninformed people about what their options are instead of using MS Office
or some other proprietary tool. Lot's of these people are poor or
struggling businesses looking to save money to survive. You guys don't
mention LibreOffice out of spite, when it's an obvious solution, or you try
to communicate that the project is doing great instead of addressing the
issues, and I have to say it's pretty petty and also hurts the FOSS
community. Shame on you, really.

Regards,
Kevin

Re: Petty and Sad

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kevin,

Why do you write to us, not ask the users for some opinion? There are so
many sealots in the past years claiming that Libre Office is the better
Project.
Also the media has declared Open Office dead. And still people are using
Open Office.
It is not our fault people like Open Office and not Libre Office. And I
think the logic if Open Office dissapears people are forced to Libre
Office is lame and not very open minded.

To me Libre Office is a sister project. I love it like I love my
sisters. Sometimes realtionship are better sometimes not.
Currently the relation ship is bad. If you want to do something in
favour of FOSS, please help to enhance the relation ship between the 2
projects.

We Open Office, I think can say this for all of us devs, have made clear
that we will not join Libre Office.
However I would welcome any open minded, fair cooperation between both
projects. In my opinion that was not the case in the past.
Another point I see that will not make you fond of the Idea, is that you
loose your source of Schadensfreude. You seem to need it.
You are welcome to read our list in the future in order to feel better.

I am very happy with the Open Office Community. I see a great and kind
and very active user base. And my fellow Dev Community is awesome.
I realy like it here. And I would like to ask you to respect this. Don't
blame us for people not using your favourite office suite.

Please give them the freedom to use what they want, instead of what you
want.

All the best
Peter