Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marc-Henri PAMISEUX <ma...@clg.fr> on 2002/08/27 16:05:57 UTC

Using a Webapp on a network share

Hi,

Is it possible to use Tomcat with a Webapp on a network share (with NFS
or SMB) ?
If i mount a network share in /mnt/Dev could i write
appBase="/mnt/Dev/webapp" in the Host section of server.xml file ?

I believe some problem...

Thanks

Marc-Henri

Re: Using a Webapp on a network share

Posted by Marc-Henri PAMISEUX <ma...@clg.fr>.
Andrew Conrad wrote:
> I'm not sure if this relates to samba, but most issues with mapped
> drives is with the service account, if you are running Tomcat as a
> service.
>
> Try creating an account specifically for Tomcat, then log on as Tomcat
> and map the drive ( check reconnect at logon ).  Make sure you can read
> a file while accessing the drive.  Then add the account to the service
> and restart Tomcat.
>
> Another way to test to see if it's a permissions issue, is to stop your
> tomcat service, and start Tomcat using the batch file, assumming you
> have permission to the mapped drive.
>

> - Andrew

You're right Andrew.
That is a Services Problem.

Thank for your solution, i discover that it was a service problem, but i
didn't known how to resolv it.

All is Ok now.

Posted by Andrew Conrad <an...@attbi.com>.

Posted by Marc-Henri PAMISEUX <ma...@clg.fr>.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Instead of:

Posted by Marc-Henri PAMISEUX <ma...@clg.fr>.

Posted by Marc-Henri PAMISEUX <ma...@clg.fr>.
Tim Funk wrote:
> Yup - I had my Win2K machine load a webapp on a HPUX samba share. But
> for some reason (for which I don't know or care)  - the sharing was REAL
> slow with respect to performance.
>
> eg: (Assume drive O is mounted)
> <Context path="/shmoopy" docBase="O:/www/shmoopy" debug="0"/>

I've found the error !

That wasn't a Context Path problem but tomcat.exe that run Tomcat as a
services.
When i run tomcat as a windows services, nothing works if the webapp is
on a network drive. But if i run Tomcat with startup.bat, all is OK and
works fine !

I think there is now a problem with Tomcat.exe (The same as alexandria
Javaservice)

Thank for all,

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Yes, I do this.  Apache, webspace, and webapps are located on one server.
Tomcat is running on its own dedicated server which can access the webapps
via NFS.

Regards,

Glenn