Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by K B Shiv Kumar <sh...@indiqus.com.INVALID> on 2020/08/04 14:04:49 UTC

(Error ?) in Usage Documentation

Hi,

Below is a snippet from the latest documentation on usage found at
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/archived-cloudstack-administration/en/latest/usage.html

===BEGIN===

For example, suppose that your server is in GMT, your user population is
predominantly in the East Coast of the United States, and you would like to
process usage records every night at 2 AM local (EST) time. Choose these
settings:

   - enable.usage.server = true
   - usage.execution.timezone = America/New_York
   - usage.stats.job.exec.time = 07:00. This will run the Usage job at 2:00
   AM EST. Note that this will shift by an hour as the East Coast of the U.S.
   enters and exits Daylight Savings Time.
   - usage.stats.job.aggregation.range = 1440

With this configuration, the Usage job will run every night at 2 AM EST and
will process records for the previous day’s midnight-midnight as defined by
the EST (America/New_York) time zone.

Note

Because the special value 1440 has been used for
usage.stats.job.aggregation.range, the Usage Server will ignore the data
between midnight and 2 AM. That data will be included in the next day’s run.

===END===
In the above example, shouldn’t the example mean

usage.aggregation.timezone = America/New York
instead of
usage.execution.timezone = America/New York

In the above example, on one hand the server is in GMT, which has been
overriden by the usage.execution.timezone = America/New_York setting and on
the other hand the explanation goes on to say that 07:00 would actually be
02:00 EST (which is GMT 07:00). As per the requirement in the example,
since the management server is already in GMT we need not give any value to
usage.execution.timezone nor usage.aggregation.timezone and it should still
suffice with the other parameters as per the example.

The present context doesn’t make any sense to me (am I missing something ?)

--

*Cheers*

*Shiv*