Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by ba...@generationjava.com on 2002/02/02 09:14:06 UTC

Avalon Logging Toolkit (fwd)

A post to the Log4J list. What's the answer? I didn't see a FAQ on the
Avalon page with:

'Why not just use Log4J?'

---

I imagine the rip-off comment is a bit too strong. All Logging APIs seem
to steal from syslogd(?) which I'm sure has influence from other logging
systems back in prehistory. The first Java code I did for myself out of
work was a Debugging structure that in basic principle is the same, (but
simpler and crapper).

However, as someone who now uses Log4J as much as possible, and also as
someone whose eyes have been opened to the potential in Avalon, what is
the advantage to LogKit?

Bay

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 19:14, bayard@generationjava.com wrote:
> A post to the Log4J list. What's the answer? I didn't see a FAQ on the
> Avalon page with:
>
> 'Why not just use Log4J?'

Most likely Ceki would go ballistic ;)

The answer is that LogKit existed at Apache for a bit before Log4j came here.
It has made some of the same mistakes as Log4j but also managed to avoid some
of them. In particular it is more friendly to deeper category hierarchies,
safer/securer access and multiple hierarchies in JVM. It also has a more
performance orientated perspective (trades small bits of memory for much
faster performance).

However it does not have many of the bells and whistles as Log4j. It doesn't
do object rendering, i18n, lifecycle management of output objects etc. It is
unlikely that it will ever do any of these things. I think it also is missing
some of the output targets (though it also has a few more) though this has
likely changed since I last looked at Log4j.

--
Cheers,

Pete