Posted to users@flex.apache.org by "kevin.godell" <ke...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/19 19:53:08 UTC

flex ide advice needed for new mac user

I just picked up the latest entry level macbook pro yesterday and will be
trying to set up a development environment for flex mobile apps. I have only
used flash builder on a windows pc making desktop and mobile apps as a
hobby. I have virtually no experience using mac products and need some
advice.

-What flex IDEs are available for mac, other than flash builder or intellij?

-Does intellij have all of the same features as flash builder, or is it
lacking or superior in some way?

-If I choose flash builder, is it better to get a standalone license or
subscribe to adobe creative cloud?

Any advice or feedback is welcome.

-----
.

Re: flex ide advice needed for new mac user

Posted by Marcus Fritze <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hey Kevin,

I am using FB4.7 and have exactly the same problem here. Because of the big size
of the project and each component, I use the <fx:Script…

In FB I have a lot of yellow warnings. It seems that sometimes the as file can not find
the mxml file. So I close the as file and click in the mxml file on a function that leads
me into the as file (press cmd + mouse click). So it opens the as again and all
warnings are away. Maybe you can try this in IntelliJ. I know this is very frustrating.

Because of this problem, I thought of switching from FB to IntelliJ. But, when
this problem also occurs in IntelliJ, I maybe wait a little bit.

It’s very challenging to develop software without any errors, when the
IDE itself produces a lot of errors. ;-)

Thanks

Marcus

AW: flex ide advice needed for new mac user

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I have to admit that I didn't know about that option, googling a little, I found out that it's the equivalent to the "include" in an .as file. Have to admit that even if I agree that this allows to separate code fragments easily, it's a pain to maintain as you never know the context the include is used in. That's why no IDE will be able to provide sensible code-assist here ... it simply can't know where it's used and even if it does, there is no guarantee that when including it somewhere else, it will not work. In order to have such a feedback the IDE would have to track the usages and provide feedback per usage ... sort of like when used by a.b.c.d.MyTest1 the property x is already defined, when imported in a.b.c.d.MyTest2 a method called "doSomething" is already defined (Don't think I would like an IDE with such a feature)

If you want to separate your code from the markup, I would suggest to create an AS class that extends the root type of your mxml and then to use that new component as root in your mxml. There the context is clear and the IDEs will be able to help you.

Chris

Well I usually put the code inline, but I use .as files in favor of .mxml wherever I can and wherever it makes sense.

Chris

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi,

Well even if I support your opinion about IntelliJ,
to be fair you should mention some things that IntelliJ doesn't have, what FB provides:
- UI Editor (even if that used to crash in FB almost every time I used it)
- Built in Profiler (Not really an issue as I think Adobe Scout is way better anyway)
- Built in generator for BlazeDS (Never used that)

As I am building my applications with Maven (Flexmojos) I can confirm that
since I moved to IntelliJ a lot of years ago, things have become more and more easy.
And the support is sensational :-)

Chris

Posted by Justin Ransom Dallas <ju...@gmail.com>.
FlashBuilder hasn't really been updated in a very long time.  I remember I
would end up with serious and frustrating issues whereby my settings such
as accessibility were outright ignored when using FB4.7.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 1:53 PM, kevin.godell <ke...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just picked up the latest entry level macbook pro yesterday and will be
> trying to set up a development environment for flex mobile apps. I have
> only
> used flash builder on a windows pc making desktop and mobile apps as a
> hobby. I have virtually no experience using mac products and need some
> advice.
>
> -What flex IDEs are available for mac, other than flash builder or
> intellij?
>
> -Does intellij have all of the same features as flash builder, or is it
> lacking or superior in some way?
>
> -If I choose flash builder, is it better to get a standalone license or
> subscribe to adobe creative cloud?
>
> Any advice or feedback is welcome.
>

> -----
> .