Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Udi Meiri <eh...@google.com> on 2019/05/08 16:28:42 UTC

Plans for Python type hints

Hi,
I've written a document, with input from robertwb@, detailing the direction
forward I want to take type hints in Python 3. The document contains
background, a survey of existing type tools, and example usage.
The summary of proposed changes is:

   1.

   Update Beam's type hinting support to work with Python 3, with minimal
   changes and keeping backwards compatibility.
   1.

      Support Py3 type hints.
      2.

      Fix trivial_inference module to work with Py3 bytecode.
      2.

   Migrate to standard typing module types, to make it easier to migrate to
   using external packages later on.
   3.

   Start using external typing packages to simplify maintenance and add
   features (such as better inference).

Any comments would be welcome here or on the doc.

doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15bsOL3YcUWuIjnxqhi9nanhj2eh9S6-QlLYuL7ufcXY/edit?usp=sharing
JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-7060

Re: Plans for Python type hints

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
Can you please add this to the design documents webpage.
https://beam.apache.org/contribute/design-documents/

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.

*From: *Udi Meiri <eh...@google.com>
*Date: *Wed, May 8, 2019 at 9:29 AM