Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Nikhil G. Daddikar" <ng...@celoxis.com> on 2002/05/14 04:31:11 UTC

OT: Summarization tool?

Hello,

This is slightly off-topic but does anyone know of a good freeware summarization tool i.e something that generates an abstract out
of a text?

Thanks.

Lucene Release Candidate 1.2-RC5 is now available

Posted by Peter Carlson <ca...@bookandhammer.com>.
Lucene Release Candidate 1.2-RC5 is now available.

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-lucene/release/v1.2-rc5/

This includes the following changes:
1. Renamed build.properties to default.properties and updated
    the BUILD.txt document to describe how to override the
    default.property settings without having to edit the file. This
    brings the build process closer to Scarab's build process.
    (jon)

 2. Added MultiFieldQueryParser class. (Kelvin Tan, via otis)

 3. Updated "powered by" links. (otis)

 4. Fixed instruction for setting up JavaCC - Bug #7017 (otis)

 5. Added throwing exception if FSDirectory could not create diectory
    - Bug #6914 (Eugene Gluzberg via otis)

 6. Update MultiSearcher, MultiFieldParse, Constants, DateFilter,
    LowerCaseTokenizer javadoc (otis)

 7. Added fix to avoid NullPointerException in results.jsp
    (Mark Hayes via otis)

 8. Changed Wildcard search to find 0 or more char instead of 1 or more
    (Lee Mallobone, via otis)

 9. Fixed error in offset issue in GermanStemFilter - Bug #7412
    (Rodrigo Reyes, via otis)

 10. Added unit tests for wildcard search and DateFilter (otis)

 11. Allow co-existence of indexed and non-indexed fields with the same name
     (cutting/casper, via otis)

 12. Add escape character to query parser.
     (briangoetz)

 13. Applied a patch that ensures that searches that use DateFilter
     don't throw an exception when no matches are found. (David Smiley, via
     otis)

 14. Fixed bugs in DateFilter and wildcardquery unit tests. (cutting, otis,
carlson)

Re: Summarization tool?

Posted by Maurits van Wijland <m....@quicknet.nl>.
Well, the main keyword here is freeware...now that's a big NO! But, next
best thing...there is this
dutch company named "carp technologies" (and no, I don't work for them...:)
that has a
summarization tool (also written in Java).

So, the URL is: http://www.carp-technologies.nl/en/home.html

There is a 'free' personal edition...

so, have fun

Maurits

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Summarization tool?

Posted by Kelvin Tan <ke...@relevanz.com>.
Gee, would I be interested in something like that...

I haven't seen anything of that sort at all, much less in Java (not to say
its inferior, but that its relatively new).

Re: OT: Summarization tool?

Posted by geoff webb <ge...@xrefer.com>.
Nikhil G. Daddikar wrote:
 > This is slightly off-topic but does anyone know of a good freeware
 > summarization tool i.e something that generates an abstract out
 > of a text?

I have found the following tools quite handy for what you mention. They
offer fully Java based implementations of a number of machine learning
principles which is very handy. There is also a book available to
complement the WEKA toolkit.

http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/weka/ (WEKA - Machine learning toolkit)
http://www.nzdl.org/Kea/             (Keyphrase extraction using WEKA)
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/%7Enzdl/textmining/index.html

The Keyphrase ExtrAction toolkit works quite well but relies on being
seeded with known summary information to build patterns.

There are a number of papers on this topic which you can find at the
above web sites.

Not sure if this is helpful but it may be a start.

regards

Geoff