Posted to netcat@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2019/09/25 10:16:55 UTC

Apache NetBeans 11.2-beta1 Is Available for Testing!

Dear Community,

I'd like to announce that the first beta build for Apache NetBeans
11.2 from the release112 branch is available for download. Apologies
for the delay. Further betas will be released on Oct 2nd and 9th as
required. Release is aimed for Oct ~15th.

As per the release schedule, NB 11.2 is a non-LTS release, and will
not have a full NetCAT process.  However, feedback and testing from
those on the dev@ and netcat@ lists would still be appreciated,
particularly around new features.  Please file issues in JIRA as
necessary, with the affects and fix versions set to 11.2. Please take
note of the Bug Priority Guidelines (link below), in particular so
that we can address critical and blocking issues if they arise.

**If making PRs to fix issues, please add the 11.2 milestone and add
me as one of the reviewers**

See the artefacts here:
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/NetBeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release112/14/artifact/dist/

The binary you most likely need is:
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/NetBeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release112/14/artifact/dist/netbeans-11.2-bin.zip

The SHA512 sums if you would like to check them are provided there as
well as here:
fc6a67d675048cf6631785b6dd604eb4ca904609c58832b6573194b8a4ecaf95c73bdc079a1db2ffe082d2ce1f49fd413ff0a8e8c711d50c3b667447df0700ae
 ./netbeans-11.2-bin.zip
50430ccc87abd406979136b497e64830f34e31b8c778b38e7908d1297bb62e0b57fa33361f0ee2d80a62da3a622022e42b41a5e2d309e01bc39419f44c101a4b
 ./netbeans-11.2-source.zip

New build infrastructure - known issues / changes:
As you may notice from the links, this is the first release using the
new build templates and Jenkins task (thanks Eric!). One thing this
does is switch from hardcoded versions across the code base to filling
this in from a central configuration file based on git branch and
hash.

* Local building from the source bundle is not correctly picking up
the git info file in the source bundle. Run `cp
nbbuild/gitinfo.properties nbbuild/build/` before running Ant (or
otherwise manually create the nbbuild/build folder and copy
gitinfo.properties into it). Will be fixed before full release as it's
a blocking issue.
* A git checkout of the release branch will also not correctly pick up
the required git info - this will be looked at before release too.
* File names are not currently marked with the beta1 suffix. On the
other hand, the splash and window are. Win some, lose some!
* The userdir will now be named differently for each beta and the final release.
* Implementation versions across builds of the same sources still
differ. It is planned to fix this prior to release (separate thread to
follow).

Release schedule :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Release+Schedule
Bug Priority Guidelines :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Bug+Priority+Guidelines
NB 11.2 major changes :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+11.2
( although that's not yet updated, so see also
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/milestone/3?closed=1 )

Thanks and best wishes,

Neil
Volunteer Release Manager for Apache NetBeans 11.2

Re: Apache NetBeans 11.2-beta1 Is Available for Testing!

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 16:07, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> I've started picking out the highlights from the list of closed issues,
> please feel free to disagree or add others, either here in the thread or by
> directly editing the page:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+11.2

Thanks for picking that up!  I need to catch up with work (and
preparing for NetBeans Day) so won't be able to touch much until next
week now.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Apache NetBeans 11.2-beta1 Is Available for Testing!

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Excellent, great job, especially Neil and Eric.

I've started picking out the highlights from the list of closed issues,
please feel free to disagree or add others, either here in the thread or by
directly editing the page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+11.2

Gj

Posted by Gilberto <gi...@gmail.com>.
Great build, Neil.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Emmanuel,

Can you try again with fresh userdir then create an issue together with log
files?

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Thanks. Best to file an issue with details of environment after reproducing
with fresh userdir.

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by ehsavoie <em...@gmail.com>.
Forgot to put some logs :

Posted by ehsavoie <em...@gmail.com>.
Forgot to put some logs :

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Emmanuel,

Posted by ehsavoie <em...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by ehsavoie <em...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: Snap parallel install for NetBeans 11.2-beta1

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
That could be a Snap bug, given that this feature is experimental and I
maybe not really supports classic confinement.

I 'd just switch to the 11.1beta1(I think that's pretty safe) and if you
encounter some issues you can always switch back to 11.1 (the user and
cache dir of 11.1 will not be touched by installing 11.2-beta1)

Also you can install netbeans-dev snap besides of netbeans (but you
can't test the NETBEANS-2962 with the dev version)

Posted by John Neffenger <jo...@status6.com>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Dear Linux users,

https://snapcraft.io/netbeans

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
 1. The really noticeable one is the Find Usages.
 2. Mostly Windows users can take advantage from NIO2 watcher. Mac users
    shall be not affected.
 3. All platform can have benefit from caching Archive root providers,
    though it may/may not be noticeable on all platforms/module/project
    setup.
 4. The last patch is just for OpenJDK projects.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Neil!

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
If you can avoid using it (i.e., you can avoid using it if you're not
running on JDK 8), I'd advise to avoid using it.

Gj

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 25 Sep 2019, 18:56 Scott Palmer, <sw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Host module
> StandardModule:org.netbeans.libs.javacimpl jarFile:
> /Applications/NetBeans/NetBeans 11.2
> Beta.app/Contents/Resources/NetBeans/java/modules/org-netbeans-libs-javacimpl.jar
> was enabled before,

You're good to go then I think. That bug was in 11.1 too. I think something
tries to enable it twice.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Apache NetBeans 11.2-beta1 Is Available for Testing!

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Here is where it is:

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
After launching I see the hyper-linked message (as I have with previous
versions):
"It is recommended install nb-javac Library to improve java editing
experience and enable compile on save."

..but where NB 11.1 would install this library when I click the link, on NB
11.2-beta1 it results in a dialog:

Resolve "nb-javac library" Reference Problem
"nb-javac library" module has not been downloaded
  You can try to download "nb-javac library" modules again.

Try Again    Cancel

Regards,

Scott