Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/21 13:44:18 UTC

Using "::" to bind on IPv6 address only

Hi,

After fixing PR43327 I have made different related tests.
Actual using "::" will bind on IPv6 and Ipv4 addresses does it make
sense to have the following:
address="" (NULL) : bind on all addresses (IPv6 and IPv4).
address="0.0.0.0" : bind on all IPv4 addresses.
address="::" : bind all IPv6 addresses.

Any comments?

Apache httpd does that when --disable-v4-mapped is used when configuring.

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: Using "::" to bind on IPv6 address only

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> jean-frederic clere wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After fixing PR43327 I have made different related tests.
>> Actual using "::" will bind on IPv6 and Ipv4 addresses does it make
>> sense to have the following:
>> address="" (NULL) : bind on all addresses (IPv6 and IPv4).
>> address="0.0.0.0" : bind on all IPv4 addresses.
>> address="::" : bind all IPv6 addresses.
>>
>> Any comments?
>
> Seems reasonable.
>
>>>From what I recall, the root cause of 43327 was a mismatch in constants
> between the Java code and the C code. Does this really fix 43327 in the
> case where *only* IPv6 is present on the machine?

r687079 and r687755 Fix the root cause of 43327.

This and r687661 comes after fixing 43327.

r687661 comes because the IPv4 address could be returned before IPv6. On
Linux the IPv6 will bind on all addresses including IPv4 ones.
On other platforms to bind on all address 2 connector entries may be
needed (:: and 0.0.0.0).

> I'll try and find some time to repeat my tests later this week with your fix.

Thanks

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.