Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by blackfield <ch...@maxpoint.com> on 2017/11/27 22:17:32 UTC

Feature request: Ignite SQL Rename table support

Use case is discussed at length:
http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/Continuous-update-Data-Grid-Cache-td2075.html#a17641

Currently, we have to load data to second table, the client then has to
change their query to query this
new table. Drop the old table.

The latest suggestion in the above thread to "load new data set in the same
cache and remove old entries once preloading is finished" is not feasible
since for large table and table scan query (thus requires whole dataset to
be loaded), it will take a while to load everything - thus increasing the
downtime.

Table rename support will reduce the downtime greatly.

Postgresql and H2 syntax:
ALTER TABLE TmpTable RENAME TO Table1;

Then, one would wrap it within transaction (It appears that this is slated
for 2.4?) to drop old table, rename temp table to original table.

Re: Feature request: Ignite SQL Rename table support

Posted by blackfield <ch...@maxpoint.com>.
i just opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-7051

Re: Feature request: Ignite SQL Rename table support

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
This improvement makes sense, but I doubt there are any plans to implement it
at the moment. Feel free to create a ticket in Jira.

-Val