Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io> on 2018/09/02 14:26:04 UTC

Re: [VOTE] KIP-363: Make FunctionConversions private

Why do we not deprecate the class? Seems like a breaking change to me --
at least technically. Are we 100% sure that nobody is using it and we
don't break someone's application (I don't think we can ever be 100% sure).

I would prefer to deprecate the class and make it private (ie, remove
from public API) in 3.0 release. Or do you see a mayor disadvantage in
following this pattern that is usually applied?

-Matthias

Posted by John Roesler <jo...@confluent.io>.
Hi Joan,

At the end of the day, I have to agree with Matthias.

It seems a little silly to keep it around, but we did already release it as
public. Maintenance is the penalty we have to pay for insufficiently
scrutinizing the code we have released. Sorry you've gotten dragged into it.

My recommendation would be to just copy the class, maybe to
InternalFunctionConversions, which should be made private. Then, you can
deprecate FunctionConversions. Finally, we should make sure all our code
references the private one.

Thanks for your work on this.
-John