Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2006/05/24 22:56:34 UTC

[proposal] Accept the Maven 1 project converter plugin into the plugins sandbox

Hi developers,

There is a big demand for a plugin like this on the user list. The code
that sits on the JIRA issue [1] is working in its current state, but it
is difficult to improve on it, because it is not under version control
somewhere.

I see two areas that could be looked at for improvement, but none of
them are blockers:
1. Adding more PluginConfigurationConverters
2. Use code from maven-model-converter instead of what's in the plugin

I'm volunteering to help out by contributing patches.

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1530

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [proposal] Accept the Maven 1 project converter plugin into the plugins sandbox

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
There is no MavenProject parameter in this mojo. The only parameter used
is basedir. If requiresProject is set to true wouldn't that mean that
the mojo would fail the first time around, when there is no pom.xml file?

Kenney Westerhof wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2006, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
> If you have a parameter of type MavenProject the requiresProject
> is automatically set to true, so remove any MavenProject parameters
> from the mojo.
>
> I'm not sure that the pom will be ignored, though.
>
> -- Kenney
>
>> Kenney Westerhof wrote:
>>> On Thu, 25 May 2006, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> There's a component 'Sandbox' in the MNG project where you can attach your
>>> patches for maven-maven1-plugin.
>> Thanks! The first patch is in MNG-2320.
>>
>> I'm working on the second one now and have stumbled upon a small
>> problem. The plugin has been changed to use maven-model-converter
>> instead of the bundled class. The new converter is better that the
>> bundled one, in that it converts an M1 plugin entry into an M2
>> build/plugin entry.
>>
>> The first time around the conversion works fine. On the second run the
>> conversion can fail. The project.xml file [1] that I am using for
>> testing uses the maven-cobertura-plugin. This is an M1 only plugin.
>> There is a M2 version, but that one is over at mojo and is called
>> cobertura-maven-plugin.
>>
>> When the maven-maven1-plugin is run and there is a pom.xml in the same
>> folder it downloads the M1 pom for maven-cobertura-plugin and puts it in
>> my local M2 repo. This leads to a build error before maven-maven1-plugin
>> has even started working. See stack trace below.
>>
>> Is there any way to make a mojo or plugin force Maven core to not do
>> anything with any existing pom.xml? The convert mojo in
>> maven-maven1-plugin has set
>>    @goal convert
>>    @requiresProject false
>>
>> I also tried to add
>>    @phase validate
>> to make it jump in as early as possible in the life cycle, but that
>> didn't work.
>>

>> [1]http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jakarta/commons/proper/collections/trunk/project.xml?content-type=text%2Fplain&view=co

<snip>

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> [DEBUG] Trace
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Unable to build
> project for plugin 'maven-plugins:maven-cobertura-plugin': Not a v4.0.0 POM.
>          at
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1269)
>          at
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1464)
>          at
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.segmentTaskListByAggregationNeeds(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:381)
>          at
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:135)
>          at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)
>          at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:115)
>          at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:256)
>          at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>          at
>          at
>          at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>          at
>          at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:255)
>          at
>          at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:375)
> Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.InvalidPluginException: Unable to
> build project for plugin 'maven-plugins:maven-cobertura-plugin': Not a
> v4.0.0 POM.
>          at
> org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.checkRequiredMavenVersion(DefaultPluginManager.java:265)
>          at
> org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyVersionedPlugin(DefaultPluginManager.java:183)
>          at
> org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyPlugin(DefaultPluginManager.java:163)
>          at
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1252)
>          ... 14 more
> Caused by: org.apache.maven.project.InvalidProjectModelException: Not a
> v4.0.0 POM.
>          at
> org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.readModel(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:1299)
>          at
> org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.readModel(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:1270)
>          at
> org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.findModelFromRepository(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:471)
>          at
> org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.buildFromRepository(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:225)
>          at
> org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.checkRequiredMavenVersion(DefaultPluginManager.java:249)

Kenney Westerhof
http://www.neonics.com
GPG public key: http://www.gods.nl/~forge/kenneyw.key

Re: [proposal] Accept the Maven 1 project converter plugin into the plugins sandbox

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 25 May 2006, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

Hi,

> Hi Brett

[snip]

> I couldn't find a JIRA-project for either M2-sandbox or
> M2-sandbox-plugins. Some of the plugins in the sandbox have their own
> JIRA-project set up, but most of them haven't. Where should I should
> attach my patches? Should I put them on MONE or MNG or ...

There's a component 'Sandbox' in the MNG project where you can attach your
patches for maven-maven1-plugin.

When you're ready to submit a patch merging maven-maven1-plugin to
maven-one-plugin, create an issue in MONE, and (if you can), make it
dependent on the issue in MNG/Sandbox.

Thanks!

-- Kenney

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi Brett

I wasn't aware of the maven-one-plugin. After reading the docs about it,
it sounds like a good home for this code. I'll have a go at integrating
it there later on, there are a few other things I'd like to do with it
first.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org/
Better Builds with Maven - http://library.mergere.com/

Re: [proposal] Accept the Maven 1 project converter plugin into the plugins sandbox

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Thanks Carlos!

--
Dennis Lundberg

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
Done, https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/plugins/maven-maven1-plugin

On 5/24/06, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi developers,
>
> There is a big demand for a plugin like this on the user list. The code
> that sits on the JIRA issue [1] is working in its current state, but it
> is difficult to improve on it, because it is not under version control
> somewhere.
>
> I see two areas that could be looked at for improvement, but none of
> them are blockers:
> 1. Adding more PluginConfigurationConverters
> 2. Use code from maven-model-converter instead of what's in the plugin
>
> I'm volunteering to help out by contributing patches.
>

> [1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1530
>
> --
> Dennis Lundberg

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.