Posted to dev@systemds.apache.org by Janardhan <ja...@apache.org> on 2021/05/24 13:33:00 UTC

[QUESTION] Does the formal voting applies to all the deliverables from a commit?

Hi all,

TL;DR: Should we sign Python artifacts and vote for them too?

The artifacts built from a commit SHA are to be signed[1] and voted on
for distribution via official release channels[2] downloads.apache.org,
docker[3].

Some projects choose their policy for specific platforms (pypi.org),
such as Apache Spark publishes pypi package[4] with Infrastructure's
knowledge.

This said, we have released our build artifacts produced by
maven via `mvn deploy -P'distribution,rat'` for 2.0 release[5] which
does not include our python API.

Previously SystemML had released[6] the python distribution, along with
other src, bin files.

Note: Pypi releases, github tags and docker images are convenience packages
and are not needed to go through formal voting.

[1] https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-signing
[2] https://infra.apache.org/release-distribution.html#unreleased
[3] https://hub.docker.com/u/apache
[4] https://pypi.org/project/pyspark/
[5] https://downloads.apache.org/systemds/2.0.0/
[6] https://downloads.apache.org/systemds/1.2.0/

Thanks and regards,
Janardhan

Re: [QUESTION] Does the formal voting applies to all the deliverables from a commit?

Posted by Janardhan <ja...@gmail.com>.

> First, we do package
> the Python API into the source release (see systemds-2.0.0-src), but not
> the binary release. So related RC votes cover the Python API too

Thanks for confirmation.

> Personally, I would prefer joint releases where we try to keep the
> deployed Python artifacts consistent with the released main artifacts,
> avoid patch releases of the Python API, so the vote covers both

+1

Best regards,
Janardhan

Posted by Janardhan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebastian,

Posted by Matthias Boehm <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Baunsgaard, Sebastian" <ba...@tugraz.at.INVALID>.
Hi,

No, to include python in the build using maven,

this is important to separate because it is a different project.

Also maven is not designed (at least to my knowledge) to produce python artifacts,

and i therefore don't see a reason why we should diverge from using the python standard libraries

that we used for the last release.

Yes, to be part of the vote of the release,

It does not make much sense to release the python API at other times than our normal distribution.

Therefore when making a release candidate, we also test the python API (we did this last time as well),

but note that the python package can and should work with either source or any release produced.

Apache have a official docker which you pointed out many times.

If you feel the need that we use that, feel free to start converting to it. I did not have the time to change it, especially since what we have currently is working for our needs.

Apache also have official python release yes,

again same argument as above.

Also i don't think we should copy the other projects way of doing things if it leads to significant increased overhead, and even worse loss of control.

Another thing to discuss is the minor fixes we have done and released after official SystemDS 2.0 release.

Since we had some breaking bugs in the python API, that was patched without a general message on our channels.

How do people think we should handle that?

Best regards

Sebastian