Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ma...@c-ware.de> on 2007/12/13 09:19:28 UTC

Re: flowscript vs javaflow - pros and cons?

Even if this thread might be a little old, I thought I shoud give my
feedback on this.
I am currently usinf JavaFlow in two big Projects.
The first one is a fully equipped logistic portal for a big German
logistic company
The second is an Internet Community (http://www.technoclub.tc)

The first reason for using JavaFlow, was that we had big Problems with
Flowscript when deploying on Bea.

The ease of debuging is ceratinly a really big pro of JavaFlow.
Unfortunately I can't provide any performance details, but since
JavaFlow is not interpreted (As far as I undestood - they do some
dynamic recoding when loading the Class) I should run a little faster
... but this is only an assumption. One thing I can say: we never had
any performance Problems related to JavaFlow.

There are several downsides though, even if they are not no-go-problems:
in JavaScript a modified Script can be loaded at RunTime. If a JavaFlow
Class changes, the Servlet Enginge usually crashes. There were some
comments on a RelaodingClassloader but I have no experiance with this.
There are some Problems using Static stuff. When doing the DB-Typical
try-catch-block in a finally block (As usually needed for closing up a
DB connection) the Rewriting component sort of breaks.
Usually I have a JavaFlow and a Helper Class bundled together. Since
only the JavaFlow Class is rewritten when loaded, a lot of problems can
be solved through this.

Hope this helps.

Chris