Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> on 2014/07/08 07:30:01 UTC

css files served as application/x-pointplus

Hi,

in Marmotta we are having an issue deploying on Tomcat:

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MARMOTTA-499

Basically all .css files are served using mimetype
application/x-pointplus, even if the web.xml contains an explicit
mime-mapping to the right one.

The issue was detected under OSX with Tomcat 7.0.53, although the same
issue has been detected in other versions, we cannot reproduce it in
other environments, either Linux or Windows. But I'm not sure if it
comes directly from Tomcat or from any of the used libraries, such as
mime-util.

We'd appreciate your help.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: css files served as application/x-pointplus

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> Hi Konstantin,
>

> On 08/07/14 09:45, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>
>> There is no "application/x-pointplus" string in the default
>> conf/web.xml of Tomcat. So first you have to find where the string
>> comes from.
>

> Yeap, that's the problem, we cannot reproduce the issue: it works fine in
> Linux and Windows, also in two OSX I have access. But for whatever reason we
> got two different users with the same issue in OSX. It failes both in a
> regular tomcat and the embedded one provided by the maven plugin.
>
> We have integration tests over Jetty, and on those conflicting environments
> the test successfully passes.
>
> So definetely something is different there... but hard to find.
>

>> Tomcat component that is responsible for serving a static file and
>> setting its mime-type is DefaultServlet.  If the file is served by
>> something else  (e.g. by a different servlet in some framework,  or by
>> different server - e.g. if you serve all static files directly from
>> Apache HTTPD),  then you are on your own.
>

> In our case we have a filter for serving static content from modules (jars).
> Marmotta has a custom modules' architecture.
>

>> Are those files mentioned in Tomcat's access log file?
>

> I have to ask.
>

>> What version of Servlet Specification is declared in your
>> WEB-INF/web.xml file? Does it have metadata-complete="true" attribute
>> on its <web-app> element?
>

> We are using 3.0. metadata-complete is not explicitly set there. Shoild it
> help?

The default value (metadata-complete="false") means that effective
web.xml is merged both from webapp's WEB-INF/web.xml and from all
META-INF/web-fragment.xml files found in all *.jars in your web
application (or in classpath in general - as depends on
configuration).

It may be that some <rogue> library is injecting a mime-type mapping
via a web fragment file.

The effective merged web.xml can be logged by setting
logEffectiveWebXml="true" option on <Context>,

Note that scanning for the fragment takes some time, so setting
metadata-complete="true" would make your web application to start up
faster.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo/FasterStartUp

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: css files served as application/x-pointplus with java8

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

>> Therefore, is it possible there is an issue with Tomcat (embedded
>> via maven or not) and Java 8?
>
> I'm not really sure what to tell you, because Tomcat simply does not
> have a MIME mapping for "application/x-pointplus". Not at all. AFAIK,
> Tomcat's default servlet is the only thing that uses the MIME
> mappings, and all of them are specified in CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml.
>
> Your web application may add/override MIME mappings in its own
> web.xml, web fragments, etc. I'm sorry, but there is very little
> reason to think that Tomcat itself has anything at all to do with this
> problem.

I have to admit I'm running out of ideas about MARMOTTA-499.

I'll need to look with more detail why that happens in Tomcat and not in
Jetty, but should be any reason...

Thanks anyways, guys.

Cheers,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Sergio,

On 7/24/14, 6:50 AM, Sergio Fernández wrote:
> Hi Christopher,

>>> In our case we have a filter for serving static content from
>>> modules (jars). Marmotta has a custom modules' architecture.
>>
>> - From the bug report:
>>
>> This is what I get
>>
>> $ curl -I
>> http://localhost:8080/marmotta/core/public/style/blue/style.css
>> HTTP/1.1 200 OK Server: Apache Marmotta/3.2.0 (build 0) Expires:
>> Mon, 19 May 2014 15:55:53 GMT Content-Type:
>> application/x-pointplus Content-Length: 6118 Date: Mon, 19 May
>> 2014 14:55:53 GMT
>>
>> The "server" string indicates that something other than Tomcat
>> is producing the response. This is likely to be a problem with
>> Marmotta's configuration.
>>
>> Alvaro Graves says:
>>> the web.xml shows text/css for mapping. However
>>> ./apache-tomcat-7.0.39/webapps/marmotta/WEB-INF/lib/mime-util-2.1.3.jar

contains both text/css and application/x-pointplus for mimetypes

> Well, MARMOTTA-499 has provide us the perfect excuse to move out
> from mime-utils. Now mimetypes are provide by Apache Tika, but the
> issue still remains.
>
>> I'm fairly sure this has nothing to do with Tomcat.
>
> After some inquiries we have isolated the environmental
> circumstance that causes the issue. And it is not at the OS level
> (OSX), but with Java 8.x:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MARMOTTA-499?focusedCommentId=14071564&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14071564
>

> Jetty (which is used for the integration tests) correctly serves
> .css as text/css. That's why I initially discarded the issue was
> located in our static resource handling.
>
> Therefore, is it possible there is an issue with Tomcat (embedded
> via maven or not) and Java 8?

I'm not really sure what to tell you, because Tomcat simply does not
have a MIME mapping for "application/x-pointplus". Not at all. AFAIK,
Tomcat's default servlet is the only thing that uses the MIME
mappings, and all of them are specified in CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml.

Your web application may add/override MIME mappings in its own
web.xml, web fragments, etc. I'm sorry, but there is very little
reason to think that Tomcat itself has anything at all to do with this
problem.

- -chris

Re: css files served as application/x-pointplus with java8

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi Christopher,

>> In our case we have a filter for serving static content from
>> modules (jars). Marmotta has a custom modules' architecture.
>
> - From the bug report:
>
> This is what I get
>
> $ curl -I http://localhost:8080/marmotta/core/public/style/blue/style.css
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Server: Apache Marmotta/3.2.0 (build 0)
> Expires: Mon, 19 May 2014 15:55:53 GMT
> Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 14:55:53 GMT
>
> The "server" string indicates that something other than Tomcat is
> producing the response. This is likely to be a problem with Marmotta's
> configuration.
>
> Alvaro Graves says:
>> the web.xml shows text/css for mapping. However
>> ./apache-tomcat-7.0.39/webapps/marmotta/WEB-INF/lib/mime-util-2.1.3.jar
>
> contains both text/css and application/x-pointplus for mimetypes

Well, MARMOTTA-499 has provide us the perfect excuse to move out from
mime-utils. Now mimetypes are provide by Apache Tika, but the issue
still remains.

> I'm fairly sure this has nothing to do with Tomcat.

After some inquiries we have isolated the environmental circumstance
that causes the issue. And it is not at the OS level (OSX), but with
Java 8.x:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MARMOTTA-499?focusedCommentId=14071564&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14071564

Jetty (which is used for the integration tests) correctly serves .css as
text/css. That's why I initially discarded the issue was located in our
static resource handling.

Therefore, is it possible there is an issue with Tomcat (embedded via
maven or not) and Java 8?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Sergio,

Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 14:55:53 GMT

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi Konstantin,

On 08/07/14 09:45, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> There is no "application/x-pointplus" string in the default
> conf/web.xml of Tomcat. So first you have to find where the string
> comes from.

Yeap, that's the problem, we cannot reproduce the issue: it works fine
in Linux and Windows, also in two OSX I have access. But for whatever
reason we got two different users with the same issue in OSX. It failes
both in a regular tomcat and the embedded one provided by the maven plugin.

We have integration tests over Jetty, and on those conflicting
environments the test successfully passes.

So definetely something is different there... but hard to find.

> Tomcat component that is responsible for serving a static file and
> setting its mime-type is DefaultServlet.  If the file is served by
> something else  (e.g. by a different servlet in some framework,  or by
> different server - e.g. if you serve all static files directly from
> Apache HTTPD),  then you are on your own.

In our case we have a filter for serving static content from modules
(jars). Marmotta has a custom modules' architecture.

> Are those files mentioned in Tomcat's access log file?

I have to ask.

> What version of Servlet Specification is declared in your
> WEB-INF/web.xml file? Does it have metadata-complete="true" attribute
> on its <web-app> element?

We are using 3.0. metadata-complete is not explicitly set there. Shoild
it help?

Thanks!

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.