Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by John Menke <jo...@eagleinfosystems.com> on 2004/06/23 03:14:03 UTC

Design of XSP version of JSP pager tag

Has anyone created a XSP version of paging through a dataset?  I can't use
the esql tag as my data will be coming from a SOAP request.  We have
implemented
server side paging (database only returns subset not whole resultset and
uses offset/limit)  with our JSP pages so i'm thinking the switch to XSP
will not be that bad.  Has anyone developed any logicsheets like this?

I'm thinking our SOAP method will need params for offset, and page-size when
being called and will output variables in the XML result that indicated
current-offset, page-size and total-result-size.

<paging-result>
	<offset>20</offset>
	<page-size>10</page-size>
	<total-result-size>200</total-result-size>
      <!-- 10 rows of data below -->
      <row-data>
		<row>
			<column/>
			<column/>
            </row>
	</row-data>
</paging-result>

I would need to turn the above data into a table with the 10 current rows of
data and a "pager" footer that has 20 pages (20 X 10 = total size = 200).
Each page would be hyperlink back to SOAP method passing a new offset and
page-size to be used in the db query.  This would reload the page with the
current next set of results.

Anyone have any comments on this design?  Do you think it will be usable?
Can it be improved?

-jm