Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/01/03 16:46:41 UTC

Draft blog response to top 10 questions

https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=your_top_questions_answered

In addition to review, note that I need help developing a response to
questions 7, 8 and 10.

7. "Open Office doesn't handle tables in Word well - for example
re-sizing of columns, keeping table rows together, inserting page
breaks within tables. Could OO development include a goal of fully
matching MS Office functionality for tables?"

8. "When is OpenOffice going to get a visual refresh and be built with
each OSes native widgets?"

10. "Why is the "User Profile" causing so much trouble in migration
from older versions to 3.4.1?"

Thanks,

-Rob

Re: Draft blog response to top 10 questions

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<ar...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 10:46:41AM -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
>> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=your_top_questions_answered
>>
>> In addition to review, note that I need help developing a response to
>> questions 7, 8 and 10.
>>
>> 7. "Open Office doesn't handle tables in Word well - for example
>> re-sizing of columns, keeping table rows together, inserting page
>> breaks within tables. Could OO development include a goal of fully
>> matching MS Office functionality for tables?"
>>

>> 8. "When is OpenOffice going to get a visual refresh and be built with
>> each OSes native widgets?"
>>

>> 10. "Why is the "User Profile" causing so much trouble in migration
>> from older versions to 3.4.1?"
>
> I counted 11 mentions to "LibreOffice". Do we really want to give them
> such kind of promotion?
>
> Simply recall that most of OpenOffice's user base (Windows users), know
> nothing about LO; I understand their need to build their brand, but
> using Apache resource to do so doesn't sound fine IMHO.
>
> I know this tries to answers the top asked questions, among those are LO
> related questions, but how representative are these questions when most
> of our user base does not even know what LO is? These questions could
> really be genuine AOO users questions, or simply a way some LO followers
> have chosen to promote their brand using OpenOffice brand and
> resources.

I've seen similar questions come up on the user list, as blog comments
and on the forums.  So it is representative of questions from the more
engaged users, who may or may not be representative of the average
user.  So there might be some value in answering them in one place, so
we can point users to this post in the future.

-Rob

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
How about this for question 8?

Q: 8. "When is OpenOffice going to get a visual refresh and be built with
each OSes native widgets?"
A: Visual refresh is part of our continuous effort on user experience
improvement. It is a challenge work to innovate with modern UI vs. support
gradual transformation of huge amount of existing users, leverage OSes
native widgets vs. keep consistent L&F across platforms. Our UX designers
and developers are working together on it, and you will notice some
improvements in 4.0 which is coming around 2nd quarter. The more feedback
we get from you, the better design we can make.

Hope Kevin Grignon and other UX people can add better words...

- Shenfeng (Simon)

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
My bad - came back typing and didn't read your last mail - ok, grabbed that
one also. Thanks

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hey Rob,

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 11:36:33 -0500

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 10:46:41 -0500
Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=your_top_questions_answered
<snip>

Number 5, about PDF needs a plain statement that AOO and earlier OOo are not intended to be PDF readers/editors, which task is best handled by dedicated tools, although the PDF import extension for AOO does permit minor cosmetic editing.

There is a common misconception that OpenOffice ought open every type of office file; each week on the Forum there are several queries concerning failure to open PDFs in OpenOffice.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Draft blog response to top 10 questions

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/1/4 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:42 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
> <ar...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 09:45:07AM +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> >> Answer 5, as others wrote, could be completed with something like
> >> Drew mentioned... "allows minor (cosmetic) editing of PDF files and
> >> supports saving to a 'hybrid PDF format', i.e., a PDF file that also
> >> contains an editable copy of the document and that can be fully
> >> edited in OpenOffice".
> >
> > The extension that allows this is not being maintained anymore, the
> > binaries available at
> > http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pdfimport are from December
> > 2010, any issue with this extension has to be marked as WONTFIX, because
> > we don't release it anymore, ... so I wouldn't mention any feature
> > related to this extension.
> >

> OK.  I took out the mention of that extension.
>
> I also included content and feedback from Shenfeng and Andrea.  I even
> came up with a good response to question #7, about Word table
> interoperability.
>
> I think this post is ready to go.

+1.

Ricardo

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 03/01/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=your_top_questions_answered

There's a nice variety of questions and good answers.

I suggest that in questions we feel free to spell "Apache OpenOffice"
correctly, avoiding "Open Office" or "ApacheOpenOffice" or "OO" even if
the question contains an incorrect spelling.

Answers 1 and 3 could probably be combined together. Or, as Ariel
suggested, 3 could be worded in a more generic way, the answer is about
collaboration in general.

Answer 4 can include a link to
http://www.slideshare.net/pescetti/cloud-apache-openoffice-based-on-html5 (I
merely uploaded it, load the page for proper credit) which had around
20,000 views so far.

Answer 5, as others wrote, could be completed with something like Drew
mentioned... "allows minor (cosmetic) editing of PDF files and supports
saving to a 'hybrid PDF format', i.e., a PDF file that also contains an
editable copy of the document and that can be fully edited in OpenOffice".

Answer 6 ends in "let us know" but it's unclear to me how people should
approach the project in this respect. Mailing lists? Social networks?
Including the relevant link would clarify it.

There are a few additional questions that should still not remain
unanswered, since even though they weren't the most voted they received
quite a few votes and are important to users. Maybe we could add a
simple list with short one-line answers? Like:

- Does Apache OpenOffice run on Windows 8? Yes. Windows 8 had not been
released yet when we tested Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1, but no
incompatibilities emerged so far.

- Is a portable version of OpenOffice available? Yes. It's called
"X-ApacheOpenOffice", see http://www.openoffice.org/porting/

> 10. "Why is the "User Profile" causing so much trouble in migration
> from older versions to 3.4.1?"

[ This is adapted from
http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/3.4.1.html#AOO3.4.1ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues
]

Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 manage the user profile differently
than previous versions. The user profile contains the user's
customizations and installed extensions, and the new handling helps in
making the OpenOffice startup faster and in reducing the amount of disk
space it uses. The old user profile is not deleted when OpenOffice is
upgraded: it is automatically converted so that users can keep their
extensions and settings. In a minority of cases, especially with highly
customized profiles (many extensions or customizations) the conversion
doesn't succeed. Common symptoms are: frequent application crashes,
problems with dictionaries or thesaurus, OpenOffice starting and
crashing after a few seconds. To solve this, just reset/rename your user
profile as explained in the official OpenOffice forum.
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426

[ And by the way it probably takes ten minutes to write a .vbs file or
equivalent that simply renames the "OpenOffice.org" profile folder into
"OpenOffice.org.old" on Windows... If someone makes it available, we
could include a link to it in the blog post and save a lot of time in
user support ]

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Draft blog response to top 10 questions

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/1/3 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>
>

>> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=your_top_questions_answered
>>

> Good!
>
> For point 3: "security vulnerabilities that may effect both products". I
> think it should be "affect".
>
> "We've had several cases where a programmer contributed a patch to
> LibreOffice and then turned around and send the same fix to us at Apache?"
> The question mark at the end is wrong.

Thanks -- I made those corrections.

-Rob

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.