Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Giovanni Gherdovich <g....@gmail.com> on 2013/10/06 19:13:18 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_proxy_html produces pages that my firefox cannot read

Hello,

I am experiencing a misbehaviour of apache
which seems correlated with the action of mod_proxy_html.
Or, most likely, my configuration is faulty.

TL;DR: I have a backend server (backend),
a reverse proxy (proxy) and a web browser like firefox
or chromium (client).
If in (proxy)'s apache2.conf I include mod_proxy_html's
directive ProxyHTMLURLMap, (client) ends up with an error
that firefox calls "Content Encoding Error" and chromium
calls ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED.
If I don't use mod_proxy_html, everything's good.

== More facts ==

0) my system:
   apache 2.2.22
   mod_proxy_html 3.0
1) If I use the cliget firefox addon
   https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cliget/
   to get the curl command line that exactly mimics my firefox's headers,
   I can retrieve the content without any error (WAT).
   What I get via curl shows relative URLs correctly rewritten by
   mod_proxy_html.
2) The proxy_html.conf file I am using is the one provided with
   the ubuntu package libapache2-mod-proxy-html
   http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libapache2-mod-proxy-html
3) Here a diagram of my setup, with all headers involved (sniffed with
   tcpdump) and the relevant part of apache2.conf:
   http://i.imgur.com/UQjPf8C.png
4) the same diagram, but w/o usign ProxyHTMLURLMap (and thus
   relative URLs aren't rewritten) and with all headers updated
   accordingly: http://i.imgur.com/mRwbmIU.png
   In this situation Firefox can open the page w/o errors.
5) I tried serving a page not containing URLs that triggers the
   proxy_html filter, and uncomment the proxy_html relevant
   configuration: the browser still is unable to access the content.
6) Since I have saved all my tcpdump captures, I could try doing
   a binary diff of corresponding results for the two different
   configurations (w/ and w/o proxy_html). I haven't done that yet.

Any hint on how I can proceed debugging my issue?

Regards,
Giovanni

[users@httpd] Re: mod_proxy_html produces pages that my firefox cannot read

Posted by Giovanni Gherdovich <g....@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

> I am experiencing a misbehaviour of apache [...]

My apologies. Nick's documentation explained that:
http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies

"Consider compressed HTML [...]
Feeding that into an HTML parser is clearly broken!
[...] we add a directive

RequestHeader unset Accept-Encoding"

sorry for the noise,
Giovanni