Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com> on 2011/02/13 14:49:12 UTC

Explaining the Replication Factor, N and W and R

Folks,

as it seems that wrapping the brain around the R+W>N concept is a big hurdle for a lot of users, I made a simple web page that allows you to try out the different parameters and see how they affect the system.

http://www.ecyrd.com/cassandracalculator/

Let me know if you have any suggestions to improve the wording, or you spot a bug. Trying to go for simplicity and clarity over absolute correctness here, as this is meant to help newbies.

(App is completely self-contained HTML and Javascript.)

/Janne

Re: Explaining the Replication Factor, N and W and R

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 15:49 +0200, Janne Jalkanen wrote:
> as it seems that wrapping the brain around the R+W>N concept is a big
> hurdle for a lot of users, I made a simple web page that allows you to
> try out the different parameters and see how they affect the system.
>
> http://www.ecyrd.com/cassandracalculator/
>
> Let me know if you have any suggestions to improve the wording, or you
> spot a bug. Trying to go for simplicity and clarity over absolute
> correctness here, as this is meant to help newbies.
>
> (App is completely self-contained HTML and Javascript.)

Neat.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: Explaining the Replication Factor, N and W and R

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> Excellent! How about adding Hinted Handoff enabled/disabled option?

Sure, once I understand it ;-)

Posted by Rustam Aliyev <ru...@code.az>.
On 13/02/2011 13:49, Janne Jalkanen wrote:
> Folks,
>
> as it seems that wrapping the brain around the R+W>N concept is a big hurdle for a lot of users, I made a simple web page that allows you to try out the different parameters and see how they affect the system.
>
> http://www.ecyrd.com/cassandracalculator/
>
> Let me know if you have any suggestions to improve the wording, or you spot a bug. Trying to go for simplicity and clarity over absolute correctness here, as this is meant to help newbies.
>
> (App is completely self-contained HTML and Javascript.)
>
> /Janne

Excellent! How about adding Hinted Handoff enabled/disabled option?

--
Rustam