Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com> on 2004/04/08 17:18:35 UTC

Ant build stalls in Javadocs

Just a weird one I've been experiencing for some time on Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 with
various levels of the JDK. Javadoc hangs building the Ant javadocs. Seems to have
done all the work but it just hangs the first time. Then when I re-run build.sh install,
it goes right on through and installs everything. I've boosted JVM memory to no
avail. Anyone seen this?

--
Jack J. Woehr      # We have gone from the horse and buggy
Senior Consultant  # to the moon rocket in one lifetime, but

Re: Ant build stalls in Javadocs

Posted by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> It could be waiting for input or for Ant to read its output.  Hard to
> debug.  Any chance you can run Ant with -debug and try to rerun
> javadoc manually using exactly the same command line?

After our first few messages, I upgraded to Java 1.4.2_04-b04 for Solaris
and the problem seems to have gone away!

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Jack J. Woehr <ja...@purematrix.com> wrote:

> The point is that the forked process never does finish, no matter
> how long I wait.

It could be waiting for input or for Ant to read its output.  Hard to
debug.  Any chance you can run Ant with -debug and try to rerun
javadoc manually using exactly the same command line?

Stefan

Re: Ant build stalls in Javadocs

Posted by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> It is probably waiting for the forked process to finish.  Is there
> another Java process left when Ant is hanging (i.e. more than one Java
> VM?).

Yes.

     jax   483   480  0 08:53:52 pts/8    0:51 /usr/java/bin/java -Xmx128m -classpath /usr/local/src/apache/apache_src/ant/boo
     jax   506   483 93 08:54:48 pts/8    1:55 /usr/j2se/bin/javadoc -locale en -d /usr/local/src/apache/apache_src/ant/build/

The point is that the forked process never does finish, no matter how long I wait. It's using a lot of CPU, too ... a few
moments later it's at:

     jax   506   483 95 08:54:48 pts/8    3:33 /usr/j2se/bin/javadoc -locale en -d /usr/local/src/apache/apache_src/ant/build/

So am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug in Java, Javadoc, or Ant?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004, Jack J. Woehr <ja...@purematrix.com> wrote:

> Just a weird one I've been experiencing for some time on Solaris 8
> and Solaris 9 with various levels of the JDK. Javadoc hangs building
> the Ant javadocs.

It is probably waiting for the forked process to finish.  Is there
another Java process left when Ant is hanging (i.e. more than one Java
VM?).

> Then when I re-run build.sh install, it goes right on through and
> installs everything.

Ant's own build-file compares the timestamps of some generated files
with the sources.  It finds the generated javadocs and probably skips
the task completely on the second run.

Stefan