Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/22 21:39:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] Karaf distribution testing

Hi All,

After encountering some release issues with the Apache Karaf 2.1.x
branch it has come to the forefront that we need to improve our
distribution testing. The main target of distribution testing we need
is to try out the various scripts we include in each distribution kit.
These tests would ideally cover un-archiving the kit, launch
bin/karaf, bin/start, bin/stop, bin/client, and bin/admin.

To help build these tests we can make use of bin/client to help make
ssh connections (send commands), and admin/core process library to
control the various processed involved in each test. To uncompress the
different distributions we could use commons-compress or just ask
maven to do the work for us (this is done in the Servicemix NMR &
Features projects).

Regardless of which tools we use to build these tests a certain amount
of CI will be required. Most of us currently use unix based systems,
so Windows based issues for example tend to sneak by. Hopefully by
having such tests automated we'll be able to catch distribution issues
earlier.

Cheers,
Jamie

Re: [DISCUSS] Karaf distribution testing

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guillaume,

About the kit and examples test, I think we can use XHarness[1] which
is an extension to Ant that helps simplify the process of automating
command line based task.
We've done it with FUSE ESB CPI test and it can verify the kit and
examples works as expect before release.
The XHarness is really convenient for launching script and checking
output both from stdio and log, it should be very suitable to do the
task like distributing smoky test.

[1]http://svn.codehaus.org/xharness/trunk/docs/manual/index.html

Best Regards
Freeman

--
Freeman Fang

------------------------

FuseSource: http://fusesource.com
blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/freemanfang
Apache Cxf: http://cxf.apache.org
Apache Karaf: http://karaf.apache.org
Apache Felix: http://felix.apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Karaf distribution testing

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks for that Guillaume.

We start with this and extend it.

Regards
JB

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Hi,
We have many machines for hudson so we can run platform dependant tests
automatically on Apache infrastructure (Windows, Linux, Solaris, OSX).

Best regards,
Lukasz

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--