Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Kevin <fo...@kegcl.demon.co.uk> on 2005/08/24 22:02:31 UTC

errors building tools eclipse plugin

Hi,

I'm getting errors building tools/eclipse/plugins

I've installed eclipse 3.1 (the all in one package)
wtp-all-in-one-0.7-linux-gtk.tar.gz

When I start eclipse I get
Javahl interface not available

I added subclipse

expand the tree to tools/eclipse/plugins

right click on org.apache.forrest, select Check out as project

right click on org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine Check out as
project

expand the tree to tools/eclipse/features

right click on org.apache.forrest.eclipse.feature, select Check out as
project

** The readme.txt says to checkout the servletEngine again ?? **

Question - Is there a way to just do an equivalent svn update from
eclipse? I had to do a checkout as project again and delete the original
to check I had the latest files.

Question - I do svn update in my forrest install area so can I import
the relevant files into eclipse from there without using subclipse?

Anyway I get over 1000 errors building the forrestplugin project from
xml errors like:

Severity	Description	Resource	In Folder	Location	Creation Time

Attribute 'id' of element 'plugin' must be defined.	plugin.xml
forrestplugin	line 19	24 August 2005 20:24:13
Attribute 'name' of element 'plugin' must be defined.	plugin.xml
forrestplugin	line 19	24 August 2005 20:24:13
Attribute 'version' of element 'plugin' must be defined.	plugin.xml
forrestplugin	line 19	24 August 2005 20:24:13

To java import errors:

The import org.eclipse cannot be resolved	Application.java
forrestplugin/src/org/apache/forrest/eclipse	line 3	24 August 2005
20:51:27

The import org.eclipse cannot be resolved	Application.java
forrestplugin/src/org/apache/forrest/eclipse	line 4	24 August 2005
20:51:27

The import org.eclipse cannot be resolved	Application.java
forrestplugin/src/org/apache/forrest/eclipse	line 5	24 August 2005
20:51:27

a couple more:

PlatformUI cannot be resolved	Application.java
forrestplugin/src/org/apache/forrest/eclipse	line 16	24 August 2005
20:51:27

PlatformUI cannot be resolved	Application.java
forrestplugin/src/org/apache/forrest/eclipse	line 18	24 August 2005
20:51:27

I'm doing something very wrong here can anyone help?

I get lots of errors building the servletEngine too so I must have
a major config problem.

Thanks

Kevin

Re: errors building tools eclipse plugin - 2

Posted by Kevin <fo...@kegcl.demon.co.uk>.
Anil Ramnanan wrote:

> I suggest that you try importing the the plugins without using
> subclipse and see if that works.

Yes the three projects built fine. Thanks for the howto on eclipse
import from FORREST_HOME/tools/eclipse

Getting a bit further in the readme.txt file
To run this plugins in a development environemnt:
- right click on te forrestplugin project and select Run...
- select Eclipse Application and click the New button
- give the new configuration a sensible name and click Run

I didn't get to the New button but a RCP window popped up with edit
facilities for site, tabs and locationmap. The new errors relate to
log4j. Errors pasted below. Any help getting the logging working would
be appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin

log4j:ERROR Could not connect to remote log4j server at [localhost]. We
will try again later.
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
	at org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender.connect(SocketAppender.java:195)
	at org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender.activateOptions
(SocketAppender.java:152)
	at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate
(PropertySetter.java:247)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseAppender
(DOMConfigurator.java:210)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByName
(DOMConfigurator.java:140)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByReference
(DOMConfigurator.java:153)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseChildrenOfLoggerElement
(DOMConfigurator.java:415)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseRoot
(DOMConfigurator.java:384)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parse(DOMConfigurator.java:783)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure
(DOMConfigurator.java:666)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure
(DOMConfigurator.java:616)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure
(DOMConfigurator.java:602)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.configure
(DOMConfigurator.java:697)
	at org.apache.forrest.eclipse.ForrestPlugin.configureLog
(ForrestPlugin.java:169)
	at org.apache.forrest.eclipse.ForrestPlugin.start
(ForrestPlugin.java:162)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$2.run
(BundleContextImpl.java:994)
	at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:988)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start
(BundleContextImpl.java:969)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker
(BundleHost.java:321)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start
(AbstractBundle.java:266)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseClassLoader.findLocalClass
(EclipseClassLoader.java:116)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findLocalClass
(BundleLoader.java:337)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass
(BundleLoader.java:389)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass
(BundleLoader.java:350)
	at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.adaptor.core.AbstractClassLoader.loadClass
(AbstractClassLoader.java:78)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.loadClass
(BundleLoader.java:275)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.loadClass
(BundleHost.java:227)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadClass
(AbstractBundle.java:1259)
	at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:152)
	at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:142)
	at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:129)
	at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElementHandle.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElementHandle.java:48)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run
(PlatformActivator.java:222)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run
(EclipseStarter.java:376)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run
(EclipseStarter.java:163)
(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:334)
	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:278)
	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:973)
	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:948)
Invalid Menu Extension (Path is invalid):
org.eclipse.update.ui.updateMenu
Invalid Menu Extension (Path is invalid):
org.eclipse.update.ui.configManager
Invalid Menu Extension (Path is invalid):
org.eclipse.update.ui.newUpdates
Invalid Menu Extension (Path is invalid):
org.eclipse.ui.actions.showKeyAssistHandler
Invalid Menu Extension (Path is invalid):
org.eclipse.ui.edit.text.gotoLastEditPosition

Re: errors building tools eclipse plugin

Posted by Kevin <fo...@kegcl.demon.co.uk>.
Anil Ramnanan wrote:
> Anil Ramnanan wrote:

> Here is what I did:
>
> Downloaded and Installed the Eclipse all in one
> Used the Software Update feature in eclipse to install Subclipse

I checked the subclipse site and thought I needed to upgrade my SVN
client to 1.2 so I installed subversion-1.2.1-0.1.1.fc3.rf.i386.rpm

> Did the follwoing:
>
> - Window -> Open Perspective -> SVN repository Exploer
> - right click in the SVN Repository view, select New - Add a repository
> - enter the following info:
>   - User: blank
>   - password: blank
> - click finish
> - expand the tree to tools/eclipse/plugins
> - right click on org.apache.forrest, select Check out as project
> - right click on org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine, select Check
> out as project
> - expand the tree to tools/eclipse/features
> - right click on org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine, select Check
> out as project

I don't see servletEngine under features? So I didn't check out the
plugin org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine again.

> - right click on org.apache.forrest.eclipse.feature, select Check out as
> project
>
> Everything installed fine. Try removing your eclipse install and
> reinstalling and see if you get the same errrors.

I did all this on a fresh install. Now after install open the Java
perspective and see all the build errors. Two of the three projects
forrestplugin and org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine have a
red box with an X and the first 100 errors shown in the Problem view.

Anil, do you have any errors after install when you switch to the
Java perspective?

Posted by Anil Ramnanan <li...@peppersauce.org>.
Anil Ramnanan wrote:

> Kevin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm getting errors building tools/eclipse/plugins
>>
>> I've installed eclipse 3.1 (the all in one package)
>> wtp-all-in-one-0.7-linux-gtk.tar.gz
>>

> I have not tried that all in one package. I will download it and see
> if I can duplicate your errors.

Here is what I did:

Downloaded and Installed the Eclipse all in one
Used the Software Update feature in eclipse to install Subclipse
Did the follwoing:

- Window -> Open Perspective -> SVN repository Exploer
- right click in the SVN Repository view, select New - Add a repository
- enter the following info:
  - User: blank
  - password: blank
- click finish
- expand the tree to tools/eclipse/plugins
- right click on org.apache.forrest, select Check out as project
- right click on org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine, select Check
out as project
- expand the tree to tools/eclipse/features
- right click on org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine, select Check
out as project
- right click on org.apache.forrest.eclipse.feature, select Check out as
project

Everything installed fine. Try removing your eclipse install and
reinstalling and see if you get the same errrors.

Regards,
Anil

Re: errors building tools eclipse plugin

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
The eclipse plugin is under rapid development
and is not yet released.

We need to keep this user list free of heavy-going
development discussion. These topics could fighten
off new users. So on the dev list when possible please.

-David

Re: errors building tools eclipse plugin

Posted by Anil Ramnanan <li...@peppersauce.org>.
Kevin wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm getting errors building tools/eclipse/plugins
>
>I've installed eclipse 3.1 (the all in one package)
>wtp-all-in-one-0.7-linux-gtk.tar.gz

I have not tried that all in one package. I will download it and see if
I can duplicate your errors.

>Question - Is there a way to just do an equivalent svn update from
>eclipse? I had to do a checkout as project again and delete the original
>to check I had the latest files.

Within Eclipse, right click on the project, click on Team->Update. Do
that for each of the projects that you have checked out.

>Question - I do svn update in my forrest install area so can I import
>the relevant files into eclipse from there without using subclipse?

Yes, go to File->Import, select "Existing Projects into Workspace" and
click on next.
Now, choose select root directory as FORREST_HOME/tools/eclipse and
under projects you will see a list of the plugins. Check off the ones
you want to import and click on finish.

>I'm doing something very wrong here can anyone help?
>
>I get lots of errors building the servletEngine too so I must have
>a major config problem.
>
>Thanks
>
>Kevin

I suggest that you try importing the the plugins without using subclipse
and see if that works. I'll try to see if I can duplicate the errors here.

Anil.