Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Vi...@cognizant.com on 2011/05/26 07:00:50 UTC

Struts File Upload Issue

Hi,

I have a query regarding file upload functionality in Struts. I am
having a screen from where I can upload multiple files. When files are
browsed and submit button is clicked, it will first hit a filter,
validate the user and calls the action method where uploading the files
to the repository is done. It happens fine normally. But rarely when
submit is clicked in UI, it goes to the filter, validates the user and
doesn't call the action method. It fails somewhere between the filter
and the action class. It doesn't throw any exceptions from the framework
too.

First we thought, it happens when big files are uploaded. Then we found
even for small files, this happens occasionally. Below is the JRE
details being used.

Java version = J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Linux x86-32 j9vmxi3223ifx-20080811
(JIT enabled)

I couldn't figure out why this is happening. Any suggestion regarding
this is most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Vijay S

Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

RE: Struts File Upload Issue

Posted by Vi...@cognizant.com.
Hi Aaron,

The user is windows user. Also I am sure the filter class is been called
and the validation is successful. I have logs in my form setter methods
and in the very first line of my action method. But it comes nowhere.
Even the logs in Form Setter methods weren't logged.

Regards,
Vijay S

Are you certain the action class is not being called at all? Are you
logging
when the action method executes to be sure?

Is your user a Mac user? I have seen occasional problems with Mac files
(especially fonts) having a null data fork that break the upload
process.
 On May 26, 2011 1:01 AM, <Vi...@cognizant.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a query regarding file upload functionality in Struts. I am
> having a screen from where I can upload multiple files. When files are
> browsed and submit button is clicked, it will first hit a filter,
> validate the user and calls the action method where uploading the
files
> to the repository is done. It happens fine normally. But rarely when
> submit is clicked in UI, it goes to the filter, validates the user and
> doesn't call the action method. It fails somewhere between the filter
> and the action class. It doesn't throw any exceptions from the
framework
> too.
>

> First we thought, it happens when big files are uploaded. Then we
found
> even for small files, this happens occasionally. Below is the JRE
> details being used.
>
> Java version = J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Linux x86-32
j9vmxi3223ifx-20080811
> (JIT enabled)
>

> I couldn't figure out why this is happening. Any suggestion regarding
> this is most welcome.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Vijay S
>

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of
the
information.
reply

Re: Struts File Upload Issue

Posted by Aaron Brown <aa...@thebrownproject.com>.

RE: Struts File Upload Issue

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
did you determine which class validation is producing the error?

i assume cognizant is paying you t&m

Martin Gainty
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung

RE: Struts File Upload Issue

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.

-                                                               -

Re: Struts File Upload Issue

Posted by Alejandro García Gil <al...@gmail.com>.

RE: Struts File Upload Issue

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
<!-- speculation but comment out the validators in *validator*.xml and then -->
<!-- once the error is reproduced then put in debug statements -->
<validators>
    <validator name="required" class="com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.validators.RequiredFieldValidator"/>
    <!-- validator name="requiredstring" class="com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.validators.RequiredStringValidator"/ -->
</validators>

//if problem detected then log debug code for all methods of RequiredFieldValidator

Martin

Re: Struts File Upload Issue

Posted by Paweł Wielgus <po...@gmail.com>.
Hi,