Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@apache.org> on 2011/08/17 16:19:08 UTC

[VOTE] Usage of Aether and Sisu as dependencies of maven core with EPL licenses

Hi all,

  Next releases of SISU and Aether will be done at Eclipse.org under EPL 1.0
license.
  Before they were published under ASL or dual ASL/EPL licenses thus as
defined in our policy [1] this change put them in Category B [2] and we need
to validate this change by a vote with a majority of the PMC in favor (but
the vote is open to everybody).
  I push only one vote for both dependencies as for now I see no reason to
accept one and not the other.
  This vote will be open for 1 week as we are in august (If we have not
enough votes at the end of next wednesday will see if we really need to
extend it).

  The vote :
  [+1] I'm in favor to use as Maven core dependencies SISU and AETHER
libraries published under EPL 1.0 License.
  [+0] No opinion, do what you want.
  [-1] I'm against because .... (please elaborate)

Arnaud

[1] http://maven.apache.org/developers/dependency-policies.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Re: [VOTE] Usage of Aether and Sisu as dependencies of maven core with EPL licenses

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Aug 17, 2011, at 2:58 PM, Baptiste MATHUS wrote:

> +1 (non-binding)
>
> Though I'm not sure I'm even entitled to vote.

I think it's good that users express what they would like.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Usage of Aether and Sisu as dependencies of maven core with EPL licenses

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

I am ok with EPL licensed dependencies for the project and being at
Eclipse gives me security about how those artifacts will be managed,
an avenue for us to provide patches and see them included, etc.

Wayne

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@apache.org>.
My vote :

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Nah; with the change I think this is a nice vote, and it's about time we
have it!

Kristian

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

We have started to use Aether in the upcoming Maven Android Plugin and it
already fixes a bunch of issues related to inclusion of native
dependencies.

And as a user I am concerned that Maven needs to keep moving forward asap
to avoid more mindshare loss on cutting edge/power users side and not
taking aether and sisu in would slow the project down even more.

manfred
http://simpligility.com

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
+1 (non-binding)

/Anders

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
+1 NON BINDING.  Current maven remains fundamentally broken WITHOUT the newer Aether libs, forking/rewriting would just cause delays, and/or even more bugs.