Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by lanchez <ap...@purpleblade.net> on 2008/03/02 05:13:49 UTC

What is bin/activemq exactly?

When I run bin/activemq what exactly is going on?

I supposed activemq would be a war that I would drop on tomcat and a bunch
of jars that I would incorporate into my IDE and then I could start writing
code.

I am reading http://activemq.apache.org/getting-started.html and from what I
can see, I have to run another process or server on my computer.

Is it possible to run this under tomcat so that I do not have another
server/process running on my machine?  How are people typically running
ActiveMQ in a production environment?

If there are docs that I can be pointed to on how to run under tomcat that
would be super great (if that is possible).

At a minimum knowing what bin/activemq is all about would be super great.

thanks

Re: What is bin/activemq exactly?

Posted by ttmdev <jo...@ttmsolutions.com>.
The $ACTIVEMQ_HOME/bin/activemq script starts a 'standalone' ActiveMQ message
broker that, by default, uses the $ACTIVEMQ_HOME/conf/activemq.xml
configuration file. The standalone broker will automatically reference the
jar files in $ACTIVEMQ_HOME/lib.

You also have the option of starting an 'embedded' broker.

http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-i-embed-a-broker-inside-a-connection.html

In your case, I would recommend not directly referencing ActiveMQ objectives
and instead rely on the vm:// transport in combination with JNDI and JMS -
it will result in much more portable code.

http://activemq.apache.org/vm-transport-reference.html

Joe
www.ttmsolutions.com